• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ridiculous Attitude

At TKD practice today a red belt girl came up to me. We were doing kicking drills and I was in the second line that was about to start off down the floor. My back was touching the wall. It was a really small class tonight and only one blackbelt was there. Anyways, she says "uhh excuse me. Don't lean on the wall. Ever." Then left.

How crazy are some people?

I bow and say yes maam or sir, and follow all the traditions, but that was uncalled for I say. I just mention this because I don't want you to think that I do not follow the traditions.

What do you think, and do you have any stories like this of self absorbed people?

All the best,

Tom

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think that all depends on the context in which she told you. I've had other higher belts tell me things not because they think they have the power, but just to give me a heads up so I don't get in trouble about it with the instructor.

But if she just came up and told you not to do that because she felt she had power to or whatever, I think she was a little out of line. Though in any case, judging by what you said, she seemed kind of rude.

I never said it wasn't dangerous.

Usually with people like that, I try to look for them to do something wrong to correct them nicely. This shows them how dumb they look by doing so. It also "Makes them angry" If I'm allowed to say that.

Chuck Norris once commented, "There are few problems in this world that cannot be solved by a swift roundhouse kick to the face. In fact, there are none."

Actually, I've heard you're not supposed to lean on the wall in the training area (dojang, dojo, etc) because it's not considered "proper." But, I lightly lean on the wall sometimes. I don't think it's too big of a deal and probably wouldn't be commented on in most MA schools or by most instructors or advanced students.

This is definitely one of those why-do-anything situations. The idea of waiting for her to slip up so you can correct her is a bit immature. Regardless of her motives or attitude, she gave you correct information. You could choose to be grateful for that. If your ire is up, you could work on humility. There is a lot you could take away from the situation that will serve you.

I try to approach everything that happens in the dojo as a lesson, even if that's not how it was structured. It's not a bad way to approach life in and out of the dojo, but I'm just not quite that Zen yet.

White belt mind. Black belt heart.

Rejoice and be glad!

You take a MA class to have a good time, get in shape etc. Not get scowled at for touching a wall. Thats not against the law. A lot of people here need to focus more on having a good time with your hobby, instead of trying to be serious all the time. Most of us don't live in Chinese buddhist temples.

You shouldn't let people push you around for no reason, you will get walked on your whole life. I wouldn't choose to learn humility from a little girl who believes she has power over you. Waiting for her to slip up may sound immature, but you got to make light of an aggrivating situation to continue to have a good time. She will either think its funny and see how dumb it sounds, or get mad and still see how dumb it sounds. Either way, she probably won't try to mess with you anymore.

Chuck Norris once commented, "There are few problems in this world that cannot be solved by a swift roundhouse kick to the face. In fact, there are none."