• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Taekwondo is a very awesome styke. It has cool techniques but also has realistic moves in it. In taekwondo you will learn how to fight in a real fight if need be, not learn how to start fights but how to finish them. do not ever start a fight only fiish it. I would highly reccomend taekwondo, being a first degree black belt myself i know much of the style and i know what it consists of, if u have ANY questions please ask.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

huh??? I'm happy that you have such confidence in the art you've chosen. But...what's your point?

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Thank u dylan for deffending my point, and yes i do think that both JKD and TKD could stand the test of a real fight, each martial art has its strength and each could probably stand a real fight its just if you have the confidence and correct instruction to do so. Thank you for asking!

Actually the arts don't do the fighting. The person using the art does. So you're right JKD, TKD, or any other style can be highly useful. But some styles are better than others in certain areas. For instance, if you do a spin kick, and I block it (get out of the way, time it, and then come in on you), once I'm in close, you're going to have a very big problem if you don't do much close in training. The advantage then goes to someone who is used to fighting in close. But if you get your kick off, you keep your advantage. In other words, you use your techniques.

I always tell people that I don't worry about an unskilled person attacking me as I have enough training to defend myself. And I don't fear those with more training than me because if they're any good and really study, they wouldn't be attacking anyone. (Like you said, once you become a martial artist you learn not to start fights or attack people).

In taekwondo you will learn how to fight in a real fight if need be, not learn how to start fights but how to finish them.

In a 'real' street fight it's 90% mindset, 10% techniques, so, like Fairfax_uechi has already suggested, it's the practitioner, not the art, the wins the fight.

In my opinion, TKD is a good platform/foundation art that has all the tools needed for 'real' street fight encounters, however, TKD is rarely taught as such. Many TKD Instructors DO NOT teach effective Self-Defence/Self-Protection in the correct manner, such as incorporating 'Aliveness' into their training, rather than text book static training with compliant partners, in a warm and well lit dojang, on nice soft mats, etc, etc. Other important things like Awareness, Avoidance, Passive Stances, Escapes, Verbal Disuasion, Adrenaline Management, Mindset, Pre-Emptive Strikes, 'Covers', Forward Drive, 'Openers', 'Finishers', etc, etc, are also too often over-looked.

DCMS.

"There's nothing wrong with my defence, you attacked me wrong!"

You are very confident in your TKD training, that is a good thing, but you also must realize that there are people on these boards with exceptional amounts of training in various martial arts. While TKD is a good system, especially when taught by a good instructor, it, like any other style, is by no means a complete system. No style can make someone exceptional at every aspect of fighting. That is the point that everyone else is trying to make. Also, you are il dan, that means you have learned all the basics, and can perform them very well. When I was shodan, I was more aware of what I didn't know than what I did. I believe that first dan is a stepping stone to greater things, and while one can be very knowledgable, they by no means absolutely know everything they have been taught. I knew that Seisan Kata was part of my training, but I by no means truly knew the kata. I still probably don't, because knowledge isn's just in performance, it is in knowing every in and out of what you're performing.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

iss,

I like ur point, strongly put. But what people dont see me doing is trying to issue confidence to other martial arts participants and while the black belt is just the beginning it has a lot of practical deffense mechanisms in which it is equipped. Firs i believe that if you are properly trained in any art you will be able to handle almost any type of fighter when done with your training, not saying that you will win every time but simply saying that you will know how to get out of tough situations and possibly counter attack if need be. Thank you iss for commenting, it is very much appreciated!