• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TKD n muay thai

There seems to be a large consenses out there that when a TKD guy wins it's because the Thai guy sucked or it was a staged fight. If MT wins then clearly MT is the "best" art on the planet. Whatever. People can suck from any art and MT guys do get beat, even by TKD guys from time to time :P

Doing Muay Thai doesnt mean you're invincible, and doing TKD doesnt mean that you cant fight, buts its a simple fact of the matter that Muay Thai produces far more full contact champions than does TKD- it simply has to do with their training regimes.

For example, in Muay Thai, you are trained over time to increase your power, often by heavy bag and pad work. You work combinations, learn how to hit, and learn how to get hit. In the process, you also harden your body and become more resilent to hits- If an average joe took a kick in the leg from a seasoned muay thai fighter, hed be hurting real bad.

TKD has a lot of focus on forms, high kicks, and less hand techniques. In a full contact striking match, punches are far more important than kicks, almost to the point that kicks could not really be considered a necessity, but rather a great addition to your arsenal. Pulling your kicks, by lack of bag work, less effective kicking techniques, and kicking with the instep of your foot, lessens the power you hold behind your strikes.

I've done both styles, and with my minimal experience in Muay Thai, the only thing I can say is that Im 100% impressed with those fighters, and I've managed to be around a few guys who were top notch in TKD and TSD. Its not a knock against TKD, its just that standup striking belongs to the world of Muay Thai- they literally have worked it into a perfect science.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There seems to be a large consenses out there that when a TKD guy wins it's because the Thai guy sucked or it was a staged fight. If MT wins then clearly MT is the "best" art on the planet. Whatever. People can suck from any art and MT guys do get beat, even by TKD guys from time to time :P

Doing Muay Thai doesnt mean you're invincible, and doing TKD doesnt mean that you cant fight, buts its a simple fact of the matter that Muay Thai produces far more full contact champions than does TKD- it simply has to do with their training regimes.

For example, in Muay Thai, you are trained over time to increase your power, often by heavy bag and pad work. You work combinations, learn how to hit, and learn how to get hit. In the process, you also harden your body and become more resilent to hits- If an average joe took a kick in the leg from a seasoned muay thai fighter, hed be hurting real bad.

TKD has a lot of focus on forms, high kicks, and less hand techniques. In a full contact striking match, punches are far more important than kicks, almost to the point that kicks could not really be considered a necessity, but rather a great addition to your arsenal. Pulling your kicks, by lack of bag work, less effective kicking techniques, and kicking with the instep of your foot, lessens the power you hold behind your strikes.

I've done both styles, and with my minimal experience in Muay Thai, the only thing I can say is that Im 100% impressed with those fighters, and I've managed to be around a few guys who were top notch in TKD and TSD. Its not a knock against TKD, its just that standup striking belongs to the world of Muay Thai- they literally have worked it into a perfect science.

I dont think its a perfect science at all.

Now these statements exclude all famous stars and experts, only the average practitioner.

Simply I think Muay Thai works for the average body type. The training methods, the tehcniques, even the people and events, are all based around what works for great fighters yet at the same time, works for more peoples personalities and body types than most other martial arts.

I cant think of a martial art more based on stats and basic functions that work for everybody. I'm not attacking it, I enjoy Muay Thai greatly. Its just my view.

Call it luck, call it perfect science, either way its one of the more simple arts to learn(not to master of course).

I think of it as a movie, the more different types of audience you can capture the more profit you will get. This is why movie producers or whoever runs the show, include romance in many action films and mix and so on. This also means more people are going to say its the best movie ever, and chances are, its going to get the best reviews.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

I'd agree with what you're saying, and it's true that the numbers dont lie when it comes to the number of champions produced. I just wanted to point out the disparity in the prevailing thoughts that seem to be out there. No art is flawless and even in an art better suited for a full contact match it is possible that you can get rocked by someone from a different art. That's all I was trying to say. :)

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

As a Muay Thai instructor and a Karate instructor I can say that it does depend on the individual but overall more Muay Thai practitioners would beat Karate and TKD practitioners. I do know of a TKD guy about a year or two ago that beat a Thai Muay Thai fighter in Thailand with a front kick right to the chin...ko'd him. He then fought a few weeks later and got his * handed to him.

However, this TKD guy was top notch and it really doesn't change my opinion at all. A Muay Thai practitioner would probably(more then likely) do horrible in a point tournament..especially at punches to the face not really being allowed.

I know of and personally know some Muay Thai champions that come from a TKD background. Real Muay Thai is an art that places great emphasis on body/head/neck kicks..not just leg kicks. The problem is that the leg kicks are so effective that you will see some "muay thai" practitioners that focus too much on these kicks. TKD and Muay Thai both compliment eachother. Guys like Master Toddy and Sken also have a pretty big TKD background.

Also, Chi Do Kwan TKD is supposodely more a shito ryu influence and not shotokan; I saw Angela generalize earlier that TKD is from Shotokan.

I do agree that most of the TKD Kwan evolved greatly from Shotokan, not all did...then again I can take this a step further and point out how many "higher" kata in Shotokan were learned from Mabuni, not Funakoshi.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=