• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TKD n muay thai

IF TKD is an offshoot from Shotokan, and there are no flying sidekicks in basic Shotokan kihon then surely the TKD sidekick is nothing more than an exercise. It looks very pretty but relating it back to dismounting horseriders is pretty ridiculous if you have any real knowledge of TKD history?!

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one above it shows a different story:

TKD and Muay Thai

It comes down to the individual fighters on the day a lot of the time.

I dont believe a real Muay Thai fighter is going to kick with the instep of his foot, buckle under the pressure of a few weak jabs to the face, turn his back to his opponent, and fight with his hands at his waist.

Trying to do fancy kicks like those shown in that video will get you seriously hurt against a thai/full contact fighter with minimal experience.

The one above it shows a different story:

TKD and Muay Thai

It comes down to the individual fighters on the day a lot of the time.

I dont believe a real Muay Thai fighter is going to kick with the instep of his foot, buckle under the pressure of a few weak jabs to the face, turn his back to his opponent, and fight with his hands at his waist.

Trying to do fancy kicks like those shown in that video will get you seriously hurt against a thai/full contact fighter with minimal experience.

Interesting... the general consensus seems to be that if a TKD fighter loses then he's a real TKD fighter, but if a Muay Thai fighter loses then he's not a real MT fighter!? Surely every style has good and bad representatives?

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

People are making generalizations about the types of fighter, but I think the point with the person being a real Thailander is that most of those guys are poor, so they practice from when they are 4 or 5, and their body becomes quite rigid with the full contact beating they take from an early age. The other guy is ITF, so they do more point fighting than full-contact. It is all about the fighter though, not about the style. Oh and side note on the flying side: Mongolian horses backs are a 5'5" person's shoulder height maybe shorter, they are for long distances, not speed, so it is plausible that a flying side kick was at one point meant to take someone off of a horse that size. I'm sure they got speared an awful lot though.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

People are making generalizations about the types of fighter, but I think the point with the person being a real Thailander is that most of those guys are poor, so they practice from when they are 4 or 5, and their body becomes quite rigid with the full contact beating they take from an early age. The other guy is ITF, so they do more point fighting than full-contact. It is all about the fighter though, not about the style. Oh and side note on the flying side: Mongolian horses backs are a 5'5" person's shoulder height maybe shorter, they are for long distances, not speed, so it is plausible that a flying side kick was at one point meant to take someone off of a horse that size. I'm sure they got speared an awful lot though.

LOL, nice ending :lol:

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

yeah, a little bit of humor embedded in seriousness never hurt anyone

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Firstly; the standard of debate on these forums of late is very high and I enjoy a good read/echange without it getting personal, it's a credit to you all (an the Moderator). After 24 years in MA's I'm still learning - thank you.

Secondly; as someone who has studied MT for a number of years, and trained closely with the European MT Champion, it is my opinion that the fight was a miss-match in terms of ability. The MT fighter, in the clip, is very poor and to be honest I didn't think much of the TKD fighter. So, generally, the MT fighter was very poor and the TKD fighter was average in my opinion. I don't think any real comparisons can be made from such a poor fight. I would've wanted my money back from watching that!!!

DCMS.

"There's nothing wrong with my defence, you attacked me wrong!"

Yes, as a representation of MT and of TKD both fighters were pretty poor (average at best). Not a good clip to really highlight the differences and similarities between the two arts.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

The old "TKD is for knocking people off horses" thing is a bit daft IMO.

I totally agree, though, during my 14 years of TKD, I was told by many high ranking Instructors/Officials that jumping kicks were for dismounting riders by labourers who were working in paddy fields. A load of 'toffee' if you ask me as you're better off giving the horse a right cross!!! :brow:

DCMS.

IMO there's better ways to disable and dismount a rider than with a flying kick, no matter how small their horse or slight the rider. I posted quite a lot about this subject in a thread on another forum - I shall have to see if I can find my post and copy it to here.

Yeah, right cross. Great horse fighting attack!! :brow: :brow: :D

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Interesting. Not a fantastic fight or representation of styles by any means but fun at any rate. I tend to agree that the MT fighter looked pretty inexperienced but I also see AngelaG's point. There seems to be a large consenses out there that when a TKD guy wins it's because the Thai guy sucked or it was a staged fight. If MT wins then clearly MT is the "best" art on the planet. Whatever. People can suck from any art and MT guys do get beat, even by TKD guys from time to time :P

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare