• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah its a hard read but im only 16 and i can understand it and im not that good at english by confusing you it is clearing your mind of all else so its still working

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

i'm not entirely sure what to make of this thread.

on the one hand, it is simply about asking the worth of the content of a book.

on the other hand someone says it has helped him break a piece of wood.

on the first point, i cannot comment because i do not have the book.

on the second, i am rather worried that you are attempting to break bits of wood without supervision and using this book as your inspiration.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

The Tao of Jeet Kune Do is not a traditional sort of book; it has little cohesion, and Bruce Lee never really refined its philosophical aspects into something easy to follow. Sometimes his writing is brilliant, poetic, elegant; other times, it reads like hastily scrawled realizations (which some of them probably were). The book opens with philosophy, which I suggest reading on its own merit.

The book then goes into the "basics" of Jeet Kune Do.

But remember: This book was intended to serve as a base, off which the practitioner of JKD would launch himself. Use what's useful, discard what isn't.

Don't go into this reading it as an instructional type deal. It won't teach you do to such-and-such move or become proficient in a set amount of time; that's not its aim. It's an important book for martial arts generally, and so you ought to read it for that merit alone; but yes, it could serve as a good foundation for accumulating new skills. If you come across something useful in the Tao, keep it close to your heart, so that it becomes insensible, second-nature. Acquire more techniques as you study other martial styles, incorporate them into your own kind of fighting. (This is where the "liberation" type of speech comes from. JKD stresses formlessness. It enables a kind of...personalization.)

I don't know how much help this has been, but, to sum it up shortly: Read the Tao. It's worth your time.

"So. What do you do if someone pulls a gun on you?"

"I pull out my wallet."

I have it.

I have the majority of all Bruce's books. I have researched his methods, his history, and believe I know what his philosophy was, and what his approach to the arts were.

I have also read much on Dan Inosanto. His views on Bruce are often very candid, and upfront and honest.

The TAO is about the basics, but then again, Bruce's techniques were never complex. Just effective for him.

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

• 2 weeks later...

I think every martial artist should read this book! Even if you don't plan on studying the art, you'll most likely change your mind if your serious about martial arts.

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

• 2 weeks later...

I been reading this book and it is very interesting to see Lee's sketches and notes, a truly great read for martial artists and any other interested people.

I just wonder how much Bruce Lee would of changed in his thinking if he was still alive now and had more time to research the martial arts.

http://jedimc.tripod.com/ma.html - what MA do you do, this is my poll.