• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushin: how many jiyu kumite when grading to kyu/dan?

Baltic

well angus ill go you 1 better and send you a copy of my 1st dan grading if you want. it was 20 full contact fights after a five hour day then about 3-4 hours of grading before the sparring. it was the hardest thing ive ever done.

Pain is a sensation and all sensations should be enjoyed.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well angus ill go you 1 better and send you a copy of my 1st dan grading if you want. it was 20 full contact fights after a five hour day then about 3-4 hours of grading before the sparring. it was the hardest thing ive ever done.

Any other doubters out there? It's inspiring to see someone engage in and pass a test like the one Adam describes. I imagine the sense of accomplishment one must feel once it's over must be tremendous.

By the way, here's a clip that shows Akiyoshi Matsui from Kyokushin (IKO1) doing his 100-man kumite in 1986: http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...395825&q=karate

It starts about 2-minutes into the clip. Notice the board on the right side of the dojo that is keeping track of the number of matches he has fought. By match #100 he can barely lift his arms and is basically just taking a pounding while trying his best to stay on his feet.

This site goes into more detail on the mult-man kumite: http://www.masutatsuoyama.com/100mankumite.htm.

I find this post quite interesting. What is there not to beleive? Kyokushin Karate students have been doing this since Kyokushin was first started. A typical testing schedule for our students is this. All dan candidates must attend our annual summer camp, training starts friday night with one maybe two trainings, at the senior instructors discression.

Saturday: three to four trainings during the day and early evening, surprise training sometime saturday night.

Sunday: two trainings before noon, then the fighting starts at 1 p.m. Sometimes the senior Shihan will require the candidates to attend a class just for them. So they may train more than just the 9 regularly scheduled trainings.

The fighting happens like this, 1st dan 10 fights, 2nd dan 20 fights, 3rd dan 30 fights, and so on. After the fighting is over the candidates are then expected to teach a class that afternoon.

Monday: one training in the morning.

99% of these people are not fulltime karate students, they all have jobs, families and other responsibilities, yet they still find the time to train and get themselves into the condition that is required to do this test.

Candidates are expected to attend all trainings, injuried or not, to miss one is to fail. The spirit and emotion that is in that room during the fighting can not be described in words, it must be experienced. Yes it inspires all of us to go a little harder, to train a little longer and to perservere, because in the end when they put that new belt around your waist, its all worth while.

Osu, I did my 40 man for my shodan

20 Man for my Nidan,

and 15 Man for my sandan, but i had to have a 85% win / loss.

by the time sandan and above are tested more focus is put on the technical side and a deeper understanding of Kata, including Bunkai, and applications.

By the time sandan is tested, we have already done the smash and bash testing and as you all know, its much harder to test for long fight bouts as you grow older so it is not as beneficial to the student if he is forced to pick up injeries, which may plage him/her in older years.

Could you imaging doing 20 fights when you are 20 years old and then being expected to do 60 fights when you are 60, get my point.

https://www.marktysondojo.com