• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushin: how many jiyu kumite when grading to kyu/dan?

Baltic

I have to ask the question..... why?

It's obvious you are not going to be fighting 50 people one after the other in a street situation, so what is it this is testing?

Is it just physical fitness they are looking for, or is there more to it?

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's obvious you are not going to be fighting 50 people one after the other in a street situation, so what is it this is testing?

Spirit. If it were easy, then they'd be handing out blackbelts to everyone who signed up for their first lesson.

It's a TEST. A test of spirit (as Meguro pointed out), technique, toughness, stamina, strength, courage, etc. I think it's part of the same reason why Kyokushin dojo are known for accepting "walk-in" or "dojo storming" challenges from people who walk in off the street and challenge the black belts or instructors to a no-hold's barred fight. It's believed that accepting challenges or the multi-kumite belt tests show that one is ready, willing, and able to employ his or her karate with the proper skill, technique and strength to defeat any adversary or adversaries.

It's a TEST. A test of spirit (as Meguro pointed out), technique, toughness, stamina, strength, courage, etc. I think it's part of the same reason why Kyokushin dojo are known for accepting "walk-in" or "dojo storming" challenges from people who walk in off the street and challenge the black belts or instructors to a no-hold's barred fight. It's believed that accepting challenges or the multi-kumite belt tests show that one is ready, willing, and able to employ his or her karate with the proper skill, technique and strength to defeat any adversary or adversaries.

Actually, I'd say any dojo with any confidence at all in their fight training would take on people from the outside that came in to the school and wanted to fight.

The only thing I'll say about the multi-man kumite and similar type claims is, in my experience they are greatly exagerrated. I'm not saying anybody on this board would do such a thing, certainly not on a martial arts message board...

The only thing I'll say about the multi-man kumite and similar type claims is, in my experience they are greatly exagerrated. I'm not saying anybody on this board would do such a thing, certainly not on a martial arts message board...

Please explain what you find to be so incredible about multi-man kumite? Perhaps you don't understand the format or the conditioning of the karateka? I will say this, they are not easy. It is for this reason that Kyokushin karate does not suffer from the black belt inflation you might find in some other styles. For the Kyokushin yudansha, black belts are not about putting in your time and knowing x number of kata.

This isn't even specific to Kyokushin, with the multi-man kumite..I know of other styles where you have to do such things when going up for higher dan ranks. So I too don't understand what isn't believable about it. This being exagerrated? I don't think so, especially when you can even buy some of these on video to watch yourself.

I must also add that most Kyokushin dojo do focus on the bare knuckle/knockdown kumite aspect but not all do. I actually know of a few that are "watered down" and focus more on kata. This being said, Kyokushin and it's offshoots are one of the few styles of Karate left where you can expect a yudansha being able to fight.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

I dont do Kyokushin but i know that my style has roots in it. We do 20 2 minute rounds of full contact bare knuckle sparring with the only breaks being changing partners. on the second day of shodan grading, that morning you are buggred anyway because of the previouse day that took 5 hours to complete (inkluding lots of throws).

for nidan we have to do 30 2 minute rounds bare knuckle full contact.

i dont know if this is any indicator, but thats how it goes for us.

Pain is a sensation and all sensations should be enjoyed.

Angus88, please give examples of where you have seen exagerrations of Kyokushinkaikan's multiman kumite? I'd like to see them and I'm sure others here would too. I find this funny since I have witnessed and partook in multi-man kumite. I can find many links where you can purchase 100 man kumite video of some famous kyokushin practitioners, as well.

Don't talk about it, be about it.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

• 2 weeks later...

I don't necessarily think it's all that incredible to have a multi-person kumite, but again, I would like to see what's going on before the fight and what kind of fighting is actually happening. But apart from that, the thing I really find incredible is the 20 or 30 individual full-contact 2 minute fights after a 3 hour belt test. I don't mean to sound like a doubting Thomas, but I'd like to see tape on that one!