• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushin: how many jiyu kumite when grading to kyu/dan?

Baltic

Hi,

I would like to find out how many fights you have when grading to kyu/dan.

For comparison - these are numbers of jiyu kumite we have to pass in Lithuania:

10 KYU -

9 KYU -

8 KYU -

7 KYU -

6 KYU - 10 kumite

5 KYU - 12 kumite

4 KYU - 15 kumite

3 KYU - 20 kumite

2 KYU - 25 kumite

1 KYU - 30 kumite

SHO DAN - 30 kumite

NI DAN - 40 kumite

SAN DAN - 50 kumite

By the way: how intense the fights are?

Fall seven times and stand up eight.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt' train in an IKO branch but 10 bareknuckle and 2 with gloves for shodan...they didn't hold back on me at all.

I remember not being able to get out of bed and walk around the next day because my legs were so bruised up. All of the people I fought also had extensive expereience in Muay Thai matches. I trained in a dojo that focused on Kyokushin and Muay Thai.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

In Enshin, which has some origins in Kyokushin, I understand there is a 3-man kumite for 2nd kyu and 10-man kumite for shodan. The matches are supposed to be full-speed/contact and conducted according to Sabaki tournament rules. I believe there's one minute of rest between each match and the person being tested has to win at least 50% of them.

I thought most of Enshin's roots were in Kyokushin/Ashihara...? I'd be interested to hear of any other roots that Enshin has.

I thought most of Enshin's roots were in Kyokushin/Ashihara...? I'd be interested to hear of any other roots that Enshin has.

I'm just a beginner in Enshin, so I may not know what I'm talking about, but I understand that a lot of the throws and sweeps in Enshin come from Judo. However, I've read that Kancho Ninomiya and many of the other "old school" kyokushin students in the 70's sometimes used judo techniques in their kumite training so it could be that the judo techniques in Enshin come from judo "via" kyokushin. I'm told that many of the parries in Enshin are very similar to Aikido techniques but I've never read of Hideyuki Ashihara or Joko Ninomiya training in Aikido so I'm not sure if that's where they came from or if it's just coincidence.

By the way, I think we've contributed to some of the same threads on E-Budo. I'm "cla68" there because "charlie" was already taken. From your posts there you appear to have a lot more history with Kyokushin and it's "offshoots" than I do so I hope you could clear things up for me if I'm incorrect.

yeah, I'm the same person on e-budo and I thought I've seen you post on their before. I was always under the impression that most, if not all Kyokushin has Judo throws. I could see how some people say the throws/takedowns in Enshin are similar to Aikido because of the "sabaki method" and the circular movements.

I've never trained in Enshin, I've just seen it first hand(competed against Enshin guys). The guy to ask about Enshin would be Antonio Bustillo on e-budo, he used to be an Enshin branch chief. I just always ASSUMED that Enshin was Ninomiya's own interpetation/evolution of how he did Karate. Kenji Yamaki, Nicholas Pettas, and many others have also created offshoots of Kyokushin.

By the way, I'll be competing in a Kyokushin tournament at the end of April..first time I'll have competed in years. I must say that those are pretty high standards that you have for Kyokushin in Lithuania, Baltic.

Baltic - to get 1st Kyu you're fighting 30 fights? I know this might be a stupid question, but is that all in one night?

If they're full contact 2-minute fights all in one night, plus kata and everything else you might have to do, even if stretched out to two nights - that's impressive indeed.

Yes, everything is exactly like you said, exept that fight lasts 1 minute, not 2.

For example: we do all techniques, pushups and etc. with all karatekas that are grading to 5 kyu, then the same with 4, 3, 2 and then comes the time for 1 st kyu. - physical test, techniques and katas. After that goes kumite. There are no breaks between fights, just that time for changing between kumite partners. For example 1st kyu grading takes ~8 hours pure hard work. I'm in IKO2. :karate:

Fall seven times and stand up eight.

Baltic, I like your signature line; in the Thaiboxing camp I'm from we have a similar saying: For every step back, take 2 steps forward.

This is why some of the more "traditional" Thaiboxers keep coming forward, never going back.