• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is taekwon do anygood?

Must be different than my taekwondo too. None of what we do is just for show. We teach self defense, but also train for physical fitness, speed, agility, and power.

Sure we do high kicks and jump spinning kicks for those who want to learn them. Why not? They sure are a lot of fun, and the younger students want to learn them. Is there something wrong with having a little fun while learning martial arts?

Edited by MartialArthur

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes and high kicks are practical in some situations....and spinning kicks are very useful...my favorite is jump spining back turning kick...very powerful and useful for self defense

martial arts may be made fun of by people who dont understand them---teach these people the true beauty and power of our arts and they will learn, understand, and remember for forever.

---being a teacher is not just an honor its an experience that benifits not only the student but the instructor.

Must be different than my taekwondo too. None of what we do is just for show. We teach self defense, but also train for physical fitness, speed, agility, and power.

Sure we do high kicks and jump spinning kicks for those who want to learn them. Why not? They sure are a lot of fun, and the younger students want to learn them. Is there something wrong with having a little fun while learning martial arts?

I agree with you. I am short and stocky (ok, fat), and I like to see the look on peoples faces when they see a guy my size do some of those things.

At my school, we spend time on basics, forms, and one-steps. Not much time is spent on Olympic sparring, except in our sparring and kicking class.

Good now that is a word that can mean so much to so little. Is it good meaning is it a style that allows you to get more and more involved and teaching some of the most beautifl forms possible That I have seen at least then yes it is good. It allows you to learn some amazing techniques that are awesome to view. Now would I rely on it solely in a fight. Well I am not sure I would rely on any one thing in a fight. Nature says survival of the fitess. Who is to say anything else.

Scott Walker

To Die Is To Suffer, But To Live Is To Find Meaning In The Suffering

Is there something wrong with having a little fun while learning martial arts?

I say definately not!! It keep students coming back, espeically the younger ones. Yes, learning practical stuff is all well and good but if a person is so bored that they only stay for a month or two then it's no good anyway. Better to mix it up a little and have some fun then people will stay and learn the practical techniques (as well as the fun things), rather than just quit because it's dull.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!