• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is taekwon do anygood?

Is TKD any good? Yes.

But, then again, I would probably answer yes to any art you would have asked about.

Just visist a few schools, sit and watch a typical class, then decide what you like. I chose Hapkido over TKD but then later on practiced TKD because it interested me. And I chose Hapkido because I couldn't fin a good Kumdo school anywhere nearby.

Simply put, practice what YOU would enjoy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything new is worth learning.

I think you will be pleased with the way the kicks are taught, and the speed drills that some schools do. It is also good for timing, reaction time, and countering abilities (if it is at least somewhat Olympic style).

Hapkido would be better for holds, locks, etc.

I notice a lot of post about the Olympic style TKD. I agree, there are not many more traditional style TKD schools out there. The one I go to is not very Olympic oriented. We do a lot of basics, forms, one-steps, and maybe 10-15 minutes of sparring per class.

I think having some harder contact sparring would be a good thing (without protection).

Guys, n gals, lets not get too hung-up on the art itself. It's not the art that wins the fight, it's the person using it, or as Dave Turton says; "It's the fight in the dog, not the dog in the fight!".

Having said that; TKD, as an art, does contain the tools for the job, however they are rarely trained as such, but then that is the case of many TKD (and most MA) clubs and academys. The correct tools must be taught, drilled and pressure tested using the 'Aliveness' principle. This can only be done under the correct instruction. Even knowing how to use such tools isn't enough. The student must understand Adrenaline Management and have the correct mindset to stand any chance of winning a physical confrontation.

This may sound strange, but I've been involved in 100's of fights, mainly as a Door Supervisor (Bouncer) and would rather fight an experienced martial artist any day, rather than fighting an experienced street fighter.

DCMS.

"There's nothing wrong with my defence, you attacked me wrong!"

• 4 weeks later...

TKD is more of a sport then self defense, hapkido on hte other hand is mainly for self-defence, grapples, flips, releases. Tae kwon Do is all about fancy kicks and speed, as well as strength. It all matters about what your into. I am in Tae Kwon Do and I enjoy it.

TKD is more of a sport then self defense, hapkido on hte other hand is mainly for self-defence, grapples, flips, releases. Tae kwon Do is all about fancy kicks and speed, as well as strength. It all matters about what your into. I am in Tae Kwon Do and I enjoy it.

Again, do not paint an entire art with the same brush. I am in TKD, and we are not "all about fancy kicks and speed". We teach basic groundfighting, joint locks/releases, weapons, "street" sparring as well as the tournament sparring, many things besides the basic kicks/strikes and forms/one steps.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

as some have already said...depends on the instructor...and you too.

Although I do not do TKD I have known over the years a number of people who have. I have seen live demonstrations that were quite impressive.

If this is what you want to look into.. go for it!

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Again, do not paint an entire art with the same brush. I am in TKD, and we are not "all about fancy kicks and speed". We teach basic groundfighting, joint locks/releases, weapons, "street" sparring as well as the tournament sparring, many things besides the basic kicks/strikes and forms/one steps.

Aodhan

I know, I am in TKD too, but I'm just saying that most of it is all show and speed as well as strength, its FOCUSED on that, but I am not saying it's all they do, Hapkido is FOCUSED on grapples and such, but then again, no only that.

yes tkd is not all sport. at my school we teach tkd, and combat hapkido. with a focus on both aspects blended, one art if u wish, and both full arts(meaning two black belts). also tae kwon do traditionally was not just kicks, the term tae kwon do means the way of the hand and foot, so emphasis is placed on hand techniques, legs, and on self defense. that in its essense is tae kwon do...alot of schools have gotten away from that...and even the meaning of the term tae kwon do.

martial arts may be made fun of by people who dont understand them---teach these people the true beauty and power of our arts and they will learn, understand, and remember for forever.

---being a teacher is not just an honor its an experience that benifits not only the student but the instructor.

I know, I am in TKD too, but I'm just saying that most of it is all show and speed as well as strength, its FOCUSED on that, but I am not saying it's all they do, Hapkido is FOCUSED on grapples and such, but then again, no only that.

"Show"? You might be in a different TKD than I am, but unless you count our XMA segments (Which isn't TKD), we do NOTHING that is just for "show".

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player