• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

fighting style

Hobbes

I know it is slightly useless for me to comment, but I will anyway. I am not sure what type of fighter I am because our group doesn't do much of it. I imagine I'd be on more of the defensive type while in tournaments because I have stage fright, but in a real life situation I have no clue because I have never been in a real fight (and hope to never have to) before. I have a question though have you ever gotten into a fight? What type of fighter are you?

everyone has fear, but it is when we let it overcome us that we lose

soft, hard, slow, fast components of kata

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it is slightly useless for me to comment, but I will anyway. I am not sure what type of fighter I am because our group doesn't do much of it. I imagine I'd be on more of the defensive type while in tournaments because I have stage fright, but in a real life situation I have no clue because I have never been in a real fight (and hope to never have to) before. I have a question though have you ever gotten into a fight? What type of fighter are you?

Its not useless to post, thats why your allowed to post.

When you say have you ever been into a fight, do you mean to ask people if they have ever been into a real life combat situation?

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

I agree totally with menjo. Just thank the stars that you haven't needed to be in a real fight. For some of us, we haven't been so lucky. I'm just glad they can replace teeth and my scars fade really well.

Myself? I'm real comfy within elbow range. Get in a low kick, a punch or some other strike, maybe an elbow or knee, and go for a throw/sweep. Some grappling inevitably comes as well.

When you say have you ever been into a fight, do you mean to ask people if they have ever been into a real life combat situation?

Well thank you very much. Yeah I meant have you been in a real life combat situation?

everyone has fear, but it is when we let it overcome us that we lose

soft, hard, slow, fast components of kata

Well thank you very much. Yeah I meant have you been in a real life combat situation?

Well then yes I have unfortunatly, a few times.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

If you were to describe yourself, what type of fighter are you with regards to preferences, tactics, strategy etc...

Not someone you'd want to get in a fight with. As I've said in previous threads. I don't believe in fighting and believe that you should avoid fights whenever possible. But I'm also a realist, and know that you need to be prepared, and that's the reason that I train.

I believe in fighting to live. So dirty, fast, powerful, and doing whatever you need to to end a fight quickly and without getting hurt (or limiting how hurt you get). In other words kicks to knees and ribs, eye gouges, grabs, chops to jaws, and anything else that would drop someone or make them not want to fight. As you can guess, I'm not a fan of punches. Open hand techniques are more effective at hurting someone and that's the mentality I use if someone is attacking me. Afterall, if they're attacking me, it's no longer a game, and I'm fighting to live and do what I need to do to protect myself.

I honestly don't know anymore and I'm going to be biased about myself but based on competition I've been in and time spent as a bouncer I would say I'm successful with gedan mawashi geri/dtae/leg kicks, kao/knee, and sawk/elbow. I use my tsuki/madd/punches to set up for kicks, knees, clinches. I'm more of a striker then I am a grappler but I am decent at throwing, submissions, locks, etc...I just prefer to strike.

I generally handicap myself in sparring to work on what techniques and strategies I'm worst with but if I want to "school someone" I'll knee, throw neck kicks, and when it comes to leg kicks unfortunately where I train no one is in my league(I'm the muay thai instructor where I train). For me to get any "competition" I have to go to my master's school when it comes to the leg kick and knee game.

I guess I'm more of a counter fighter but I am also very aggressive, meaning I come forward and "march" my opponent down, back them into a corner. It's how I was taught, not because I'm a jerk or anything.

I don't spar the WKF/AAU/JKA/USANKF waza ari/ippon, "point sparring" way anymore. I used to for many years as a teen but I personally don't feel this will do me any good anymore since in a real fight if you're going to strike or have an opponent striking you they will keep striking until it's over...not until a ref stops the fight because of a clean blow, good technique, etc. I'm literally working on trying to untrain someone to spar this way right now....

When it comes to grappling sparring no one in my dojo can beat me but I am not the most technical, probably just have more experience(bjj and shooto days). I shy away from teaching grappling because I feel I have many bad habbits that may work for me but wouldn't for others. I mostly train now because of the excercise and it would seem foolish to stop now...

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

Although I rarely spar (yes, that is gasp-worthy, but I do fighting drills and self-defense combos with commonness), I tend to plant my stance and not move-unless my opponent tries to circle around me-until I have a combo ready, then I "explode" (please excuse the painfully corny word). Sort of a defensive tactic, but not totally, as I do not move backwards or retreat in any other fashion (usually).

Dave

"Between genius and insanity, there lies a fine line. I like to think of it as the tip of the diving board."

-An anonymous insane genius

"Fight I, not as one that beateth the air"

When sparring I generally fight in a more relaxed version of horse riding stance, so I present less of a target to my opponent. I can then circle them quicker too.

I will generally try to draw my opponent out by deliberately leaving areas open, then attempt to counter them before their strike lands. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. One thing I've been taught that has helped me a lot is to look through the other person, so that you just see their outline, not their face, fist, or foot. If you are watching their whole body you can see a technique coming a lot sooner.

Real life fights, I've only been in a couple and I "won" the last one. Though I was proud at the time, as I've grown older it's become a source of shame to me. It's best to box clever and avoid being there in the first place.

shotokan all the way, baby