Hobbes

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well to give some output, I think I'm SUPPOSED to aim towards the way a tiger would strike(shotokan symbol). By that I mean alot of the shotokan techniques from how I train, are meant so that by the time the enemy realizes that you are striking in a certain way, its too late. But its not really describing me as of the moment, but a goal later on.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

mixed martial artist, so depending on my opponent, i probably want to ground n pound him. fact is, most any punk on the street has no idea what to do on the ground, and except for simple submissions (such as a key lock) im not too likely to try and sacrifice my position if somethign screws up when i can just as easily- no, more easily- beat his face in real quick.

If I understand TheAnimal correctly, which is:

Paraphrased of course -> Take care of business and for go the fancy stuff. Short and sweet and be done with it.

If that is the case then I agree with him completely.

Actually, forget the fancy stuff is what I think you meant. Unless an armbar just blatantly presents itself to me, I wouldn't go for it. Even if it did I'd probably just break his nose.

But to be more specific- take care of business by putting him on his back. Simplest way, if you ask me- how many punk guys know BJJ? Or even wrestling?

i'd go for the quick finish in a real fight but when freestyle sparring with a friend i'd drag it out some to test each others techniques and will. makes u see where u have gone wrong and where u could improve from mistakes

Chris :)

If you routinely practice joint locks and holds on your little brother/sister with or without their consent.....you might be a martial artist.

sometimes circumstances do not permit you to bash the assailant's face in. I've trained several law enforcement personnel

and what you find is that you have to do a lot of arm bars, etc... since beating the guy to a pulp is not an option in most cases,

but even with that keep it simple and straight forward. For most who have trained in the MAs a long time, most have never needed to use it so they lack the experience of what its really like to restrain a larger, stronger and more agressive opponent. I used to work in mental health where a lot of people on drugs would come in aggetated for a manitory stay. One gets a lot of practice in said situations.

Edited by Hobbes

generally, I'm a "wait and explode" type fighter.

By that I mean very little movement other than just avoiding attacks. I stay fairly static but just moving my arms to keep them occupied, then when I see an opportunity, explode with what I call a "Blitz". A heavy attack with a number of techniques.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

sometimes circumstances do not permit you to bash the assailant's face in. I've trained several law enforcement personnel

and what you find is that you have to do a lot of arm bars, etc... since beating the guy to a pulp is not an option in most cases,

but even with that keep it simple and straight forward. For most who have trained in the MAs a long time, most have never needed to use it so they lack the experience of what its really like to restrain a larger, stronger and more agressive opponent. I used to work in mental health where a lot of people on drugs would come in aggetated for a manitory stay. One gets a lot of practice in said situations.

True, although you should note an "armbar" is a manuever that breaks the arm at the elbow, perhaps you're thinking of a kimura or key lock (shoulder things)? Those are maneuvers you can use to control someone's movement without necessarily breaking anything. Anyway, in my particular case, I'm lucky in a way because I don't have to arrest anyone, just render the other guy no longer threatening.

I tend to be a very close fighter, I don't back off, but if I have to "get away" I'll usually just rotate around the opponent. In the past where I've faught a "charging" oponent I've used my extra weight to stop them...when they're deflected off my body, I tend to get in under their guard.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu