• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do you do forms?

Kata is our connection to our martial art ancestors. I find it humbling knowing that many others including Karate founders have placed their feet as I place mine now. I use it to develop character. I seek perfection in each stride and fall deeper and deeper into the trance heading toward mastery. When my efforts have been recognized in a tournament I feel as though I am almost there. One can never be perfect, but the path must be traveled with diligence. Each of my students are outstanding at kata, but when I do a form, the parents applaud and so do the students. I like to set a bar for them to achieve, and someday raise it above me. Therefore I use it as a yardstick to measure progress. I use it to study flaws in student’s technique. It has many other uses, but I’m too tired from doing kata to type anymore today.

[/code]

place clever martial arts phrase here

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that kata primarily teaches principles of movement - specifically moving in powerful ways. Exactly how you apply that power depends on the circumstances. Repeated practise of the kata conditions these methods of movement into your body so that they become unconscious.

Which is not to say that you'll be able to pull the applications out of the hat just as a result of practising the kata solo. You also need to practise applications with a partner so that

a) they become ingrained

b) eventually, with sufficient practice, you are able to spontaneously apply the principles (ie. produce new applications on the fly).

Secondary to this I believe that kata also embodies tactical principles, which can provide inspiration when working out how to apply the movements.

Mike

https://www.headingleykarate.org

Practical Karate for Self-Defence

Kata in esence is the system. All of the great secrets passed on and eventually forgotten are within kata. Not everything is as appears. There are many great secrets that are no longer taught today because they have been forgotten or just not passed. Many "instructors" tell you that you have to do this in this way because thats how the kata goes. How many of you out there can truly say they're instructor knows the secrets and let alone share them with their students?

I agree whole heartedly with Sensei Rick. I love that the kata I practice was taught by master before me and they shared this with their students to share to their student and ...

I love practicing kata. If you practice them often, you become one with the kata and can do it without even thinking. Awesome!

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

personally i think kata is a foundation in which you build your teachs with and then you are suppose to build upon and expand them for your own use and figure out how they suit you best

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"

I do kata because my teacher told me to and his teacher before him told him to and so on and so on. I respect them all since each have forgotten more MA then I will ever learn. :D

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

for me not only do katas help prefect my technique in all aspects of my art and provide a good workout and meditation as said before, but they also help build discipline and control

and i just love doing them, i probably practiced bassai dai over one million times

"Bushido is realized in the presence of death"

"TapouT or PassouT"

• 2 weeks later...
Why do we do any of the training excersises we do? Practice and repetition make us better. Kicking a heavy bag a hundred times may seem silly to some people, but we know that by practicing we become better. Kata is a great way to practice our techniques in combination with each other. In each kata, we practice our blocks, stances, strikes and kicks. If you do it with enough intensity, you also get a great workout.

Yes, kata can be boring, just like push-ups, kicking drills and jumping-jacks. Yet we do them.

Why not just shadow box with techniques you'll actually use?

Aikido have names for techniques like "heaven and earth."which represents the creation of the universe along with a philosophical meaning.

Muay Thai have names for techniques like "closing the lamp", which means "punch him in the eye."

Forms help me understand my art every time I do them. It helps me grasp the curves and mechanics of San Soo. Plus, they are fun! :D

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

Because that Kata is what my teacher told me to do and his teacher before him and his teacher before him. Of course, at times, I do practice some other special techniques as you suggested...when I want to practice on the edge :D

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt