Why do you do forms?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Karate is kata, kata is karate" I heard once somewhere.

I do kata because I feel the essence of the style is contained therein.

I can feel the ki build and flow when I am doing kata.

Mostly, I do kata because I enjoy it.

Because I'm told they develop my technque. I feel they do greatly so I practice kata with great interest. I'm not exactly sure how, but its defitnaly worked for me(practicing kata).

I also enjoy it, and it helps me develop many important aspects and ideals of Karate, such as balance, control..ect

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

i put it in this simple way, instead of saying technique number 56-80 covers x-kyu we do forms A and B. and we make sure nobody forgets the technique number 63 and 75 after 5 years as long as they do their kata since it's some where in the kata.

This is the way kata is explained in the style that I practice. I agree with it. Some love it, some hate it. I think that with out kata much is lost in the mere learning of techniques.

The Katas of Hon-Shin-Do are the essence of karate, without them karate would be the mere learning of various fighting and self-defense techniques, expressing nothing and allowing for no aesthetic development. Katas are the distilled concentrated wisdom, understanding, and experience of hundreds of great karateka's peak awareness. When one begins to understand them one glimpses a new world of untold internal riches. The primary meaning of the Kata is for the performer himself. If he is unable to immerse himself in the Kata and so release his emotions, or life force, a master will say of the performer that he is still "in the dance," that is, unable to emote or express his feelings at will. This poignant karate saying has an even more profound meaning when the sensei refers to a student "coming out of the dance." This is the highest compliment one can receive. The eventual perfection of the Katas leads not only to mastery of the basic forms, but also to physical and spiritual sensitivity and to complete control of all parts of the body.

A good karateka first develops his Katas to perfection and later perfects his Jul-Kumite (sparring) ability.

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

This is the way kata is explained in the style that I practice. I agree with it. Some love it, some hate it. I think that with out kata much is lost in the mere learning of techniques.

The Katas of Hon-Shin-Do are the essence of karate, without them karate would be the mere learning of various fighting and self-defense techniques, expressing nothing and allowing for no aesthetic development. Katas are the distilled concentrated wisdom, understanding, and experience of hundreds of great karateka's peak awareness. When one begins to understand them one glimpses a new world of untold internal riches. The primary meaning of the Kata is for the performer himself. If he is unable to immerse himself in the Kata and so release his emotions, or life force, a master will say of the performer that he is still "in the dance," that is, unable to emote or express his feelings at will. This poignant karate saying has an even more profound meaning when the sensei refers to a student "coming out of the dance." This is the highest compliment one can receive. The eventual perfection of the Katas leads not only to mastery of the basic forms, but also to physical and spiritual sensitivity and to complete control of all parts of the body.

A good karateka first develops his Katas to perfection and later perfects his Jul-Kumite (sparring) ability.

Well said :karate:

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Why do we do any of the training excersises we do? Practice and repetition make us better. Kicking a heavy bag a hundred times may seem silly to some people, but we know that by practicing we become better. Kata is a great way to practice our techniques in combination with each other. In each kata, we practice our blocks, stances, strikes and kicks. If you do it with enough intensity, you also get a great workout.

Yes, kata can be boring, just like push-ups, kicking drills and jumping-jacks. Yet we do them.

I do forms because I want to. I like forms.

Great reason KK. I agree.

Also it teaches balance, coordination, how to move your center, footwork etc. It also can be a great warmup and cardio workout.

Kata is not the end all, however it is an important part of my equation.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I do kata because I think it makes me a better martial artist. Plus, I like it! I love training in forms; I feel I really get to grips with my arts when I train in the patterns of them. It gives me a good sense of achievement too to be able to do a form well, and to know that I would be able to use it if necessary.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!