• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm thinking of joining a matial art.. and my friend suggests TKD. I *was* in boxing for a few months and enjoyed that.. but he says TKD is more effective in these areas:

*better endurance

*use of not only punches, but kicks and throws as well

*and a better workout

he also stated that it would be way more effective in a street fight then boxing would...

CAn anyone explain if he's right?

hello there

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I'm thinking of joining a matial art.. and my friend suggests TKD. I *was* in boxing for a few months and enjoyed that.. but he says TKD is more effective in these areas:

*better endurance

*use of not only punches, but kicks and throws as well

*and a better workout

he also stated that it would be way more effective in a street fight then boxing would...

CAn anyone explain if he's right?

Your the only one that can say if hes right or not. Its depends on the person(If i had a dime every time I said that, and this :) ). None of these so called facts might be true for you, maybe they are. However, look around for judging and deciding what martial art you want to get involved with. There are plenty of similar questions, so all you have to do read around and decide from there.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

WTF style doesn't has throws !! it has punches, but i wouldnt call them punches if you compare it to a boxer punch.--I think your friend was talkin about ITF TKD-- :)

My advice to you is : don't look for a style or an art. just look for the right instructor at the right Dojang.

GOOD LUCK.

HaKUnA MaTaTA

itf tkd doesnt use throws either unless the school adds in throws along with tkd.

martial arts may be made fun of by people who dont understand them---teach these people the true beauty and power of our arts and they will learn, understand, and remember for forever.

---being a teacher is not just an honor its an experience that benifits not only the student but the instructor.

dylan, just go along and give it a try! You'll never know if you like it or not unless you try it. Find out what other martial arts are available in your area as well then you could test them all. I'd recommend going to watching a couple of classes AND trying out a couple as well (not just one, as you may go one the one night of the year the instructor decides to do something different!!)

As for TKD, it's a great art despite what you might hear. It helps with fitness, flexibility, strength, suppleness, stamina and a host of other things, as well as the mental benefits that are brought by studying a martial art.

TKD is primarily a martial art that focuses on kicking. It also incorporates hand techniques, such as punches as well as blocking techniques. Throws, sweeps and other grappling aspects are not usually included, although more and more TKD schools have started to do this. Weapons are usually an "optional extra" too.

Make sure that you look carefully at all the TKD schools in your area before choosing one. Some TKD clubs are more focused on competitions whilst some go for more traditional ways of training. However, which ever sort of club you choose it is a great way to learn self defence and it will certainly help you with fitness and a whole host of other things.

Martial arts are amazing and bring great benefits, as I'm sure you know with your previous boxing training. :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I have to agree it really depends on the instructors. I like taekwondo because I like kicks. However I like my school because we incorporate take-downs with arm-locks and finishing blows in our self defense techniques. It is a matter of finding the right school for you.

now what has been said is true, TKD doesn't have throws, however if the instructor is korean there is a great chance that he knows hapkido, and the punches are effective if practices, as well as any other aspest of martial arts, but kicks is where it gets intense. TKD is known for kicks, high flyign mega powerful kicks. and i take TKD (traditional) and i love it....can't get enough. but break down the name Tae Kwon Do, in korean it means kicking punching art. but its only as effective as you make it. so yes i would recommend TKD if you like it, but don't forget, TKD emphasyses on kicks, so that would build a great base fo martial arts, and if you decide to change disciplines down the road, it will just broaden your spectrum of knowledge and skill. but you do martial arts for yourself, so the most important thing to do is find a school that you like and stick with it.

i wish you the best of luck in pursuing an art you enjoy

nomatter what it be, will power and heart produces great things