• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone ever just get ticked off when you roll with some guy twice your size and less skilled than you, but good enough to not get tapped out so he eventually gets you- almost solely because he's a big fat... guy. I'm in a bit of a mood at the moment, I don't mind admitting.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry about it, and remember you can't win them all.

Everyone has a different style and being huge is a part of some peoples' "style". Just look at Sumo, I know some people don't consider it a "real" martial art, but to roll with the big guys in Sumo you gotta be big, I've seen some musclemen enter, who are big, but not big enough.

Anyways you can't blame the guy for being big, he's got to use his advantages, and you have to use yours or discover more.

All the best,

Tom

I don't have much problem with the completely unskilled big guys, but once they get the basics down they are tough, even if you have more skill than the big guy.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Big guys with little skill are easy to take down and ware out. If they get on you go from a shoulder lock to an omaplata. My prob. is that my training partner is 6"4 260 and in shape while I am only 5'10 185. He is strong enough to force my arm to the ground any time he gets a hold of it. When he set up his key lock he keeps all his weight on me an keeps tight so escape is tricky. I have been working on a no gi spyder guard just to free my hands but when they have more size and equal skill it is tough, but when you get someone your own size you feel like its your birthday!

My prob. is that my training partner is 6"4 260 and in shape while I am only 5'10 185.

I'm 175 rolling with a guy the other night who was 245, not in great shape or skill, but strong. My best strategy was to let him move me and wear himself out trying to put something on me(we were starting from knees). Well, I eventually moved my way around and got the choke. Now if he was in shape and of the same skill level, he gets a 70 lb. advantage. That's hard to overcome.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

but when you get someone your own size you feel like its your birthday!

I know exactly how you feel cause then it's:

:bdaybiggrin: Party time! :bdaybiggrin:

So how long have you been waiting to use those smiley's...

Like a well respected member that I know has in his signature, "If it works, use it"! So I did! 8)

People larger than you often hold a "sizeable" advantage over you- thats the world of real fighting.

That being said though, one of the advantages of a smaller fighter over a larger one is that a smaller fighter has much more potential to have greater endurance than the larger fighter. It is in this respect that endurance is can be the most important attribute in a fight, and it is often this way (wearing your opponent down) that smaller fighters have often defeated larger ones.