• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Faking....

If you've opened this thread with something dirty in mind then i'm sorry to disappoint!

I'm talking about faking or feigning moves in order to trick the opponent. I don't recomend it against multiple oppoenents but against one it is very helpful. I find that i like faking a front leg thrusting kick to bring down the guard and then pop a front kick into the face.

What do u guys and gals think about this form of fighting?

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Feignting is a decent attack, it's one of several method of attack. In JKD we call this Attack By Draw (ABD). Sometimes though, you can get the exact same reaction by not faking and actually doing the technique, instead of facking a thrust kick, you do it and then you follow up with the kick to the face. We call this Attack By Combination (ABC). I like to fight/spar with this method. I feel that you are wasting energy when you feignt, but there is a time and place for every movement.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

Feigning can be useful, but if not done well can also be dangerous. Take for example a simple boxing stance, your guard is elbows resting on your body, fists guarding chin/side of head with chin tucked in. If you go to fake a jab to distract attention or their guard to get an uppercut with other hand in, there is a chance of it backfiring. While you're bringing the jabbing hand back and launching out the upper cut, the guard you have is poor and a fighter could quickly plant a punch right on your face. Just be aware of the risks like that... feigning is not always the best thing to do.

:nod:

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

Yea, that's what I try to do and teach my students to do. If a person throws an attack, just kick them, if they throw a feignt.. just kick them. If they stand there, just kick them. Many guys throw too many fiegnts and are easier to hit because of this.

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Yeah, i agree...

The second front kick would usually be a jumping kick. I wouldn't fake unless i was setting up for a jump kick or an advanced lock or something. With punching though i don't extend my arm when i fake, i just twist my hips like i'm gonna do a jab and then twist them back with a cross...

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

Hmm...I'll have to remember that, but I like to fake out my opponent, usually with a front-kick, then nail them in the head with a roundhouse...

Lori :wave:

If you think something small cannot make a difference - try going to sleep with a mosquito in the room.

-Unknown-

Right.. if it works for you great! It's all part of fighting.

ABC- attack by combination

ABD- attack by draw

PIA- progressive indirect attack

HIA- Hand/hair immobilization attack (Trapping)

SAA- Single angulated attack (just kick them!)

It all ties in together and some people are better at different types of attack than others. Keep up the good work!

• 4 months later...