• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Would you join a school run by a 1st dan, 2nd dan, 3rd dan?

I would start that school if it seemed as if it was something I would like, but in our system we can only teach / promote up to two belt colors below your current rank. If I was a 3rd Dan, I could promote up to 1st Dan, and no higher. Whereas If I was a 2nd Dan, I could only promote up to a Red Belt, per say. It depends on how high in your training you would like to go as well.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
My karate sensei is ''only'' 2nd dan but hes still better than half the people were i live that claim 4th 5th and one 6th dan and by better in mean in general fighter teacher andjust as a guy.Also my kobudo sensei is ''only'' brown belt its tobias reece who used to frequent these forums he might ''only'' be a brown belt hes still an amazing fella and his skill is great to watch uses a weapon properly as an extension of his body.

I'd quote bruce lee but to me he's just another person who got lucky

• 2 weeks later...

i think is depends to the amount of experience that instructor has. the getting of degrees has become very cheap today, so that a man with 10 years of study can have a 5th degree black belt, when 20 years ago he would only have a second degree.

in some places you will find a true black belt teacher, who does not chase rank and found a strong teacher to study under. lets say this teacher only has a second degree or third degree black belt. but he been studying for 10 years, or maybe his teacher died or is in another country. who could turn down his teaching just because he is not a "7th degee black belt master"?

i think its funny to see a 40 years old man with a 6th degree black belt, who has about 10-20 years.

experience is theories you have proven to yourself, to be true. martial artist need experience, not theories.

Have to agree thekuntawman. I was sufing the website of another school in my town. The chief instructor started training in 1969. Today he is a 10th degree. Too funny. 10th degree in 35 years?!?!?

1st Degree Black Belt

TaeKwonDo

in our karate style there are only 3 dans, my teacher is the shi han and the founder of this style. it doesnt matter who teaches you 2 dan or 100 dan, in some schools if you pay the right amount of money they will give you black belt, the important thing in a teacher should be his knowlage not belt

Know yourself

I agree with what most have said. You have to judge each instructor individually. I've seen 1st Dan instructors that were very knowledgable and profession in their instruction and I've seen 3rd and 4th Dans who weren't very good a "teaching" technique.

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin