• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Would you join a school run by a 1st dan, 2nd dan, 3rd dan?

To be honest to open a school all you need to be able to do is teach the basics, and so long as you stay ahead of your students (ie keep training) you'll be fine.

---------

Pil Sung

Jimmy B

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me it doesn't matter what degree someone is. I'm a 2nd degree and am in the process of opening my own school. When I was competing I competed with higher ranks at every torn. Some even as high as 6th degree. Did I win? Many times. Does this mean I'm better? NO What I'm saying is I train with people because they are knowledgeable and what rank they wear has no impact on my decision.

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

• 4 weeks later...
Here is the deal, try telling the masters from the earlier part of this century or some of the ones from the 1800's that you will not study from them because they are not of a certain dan ranking and one of two things will happen. 1.) they would take it as an insult and kill you where you stand or 2.) they will stand and stare at you dumbfounded. The reason they will stare at you dumbfounded is that the dan system was not cerated until they 1890's and was not widely used by anyone until the 1950's and 1960's. I have studied under a few instructors that were "only" 1 dan and I think maybe they had more to offer in the learning department. Remember that someone's rank does not determine how much they know and how good they are. I agree with the comment that if you are not willing to train with someone because they are of a lower dan ranking then you are concieded and need to take a look at why you are training. Just remember some styles don't use the dan ranking system. :argue:

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

Part of our black blet test was to teach several classes before testing to show we were able to teach. After making first Dan we were asked to teach beginner classes under the supervision of our Sensei.

I began teaching Classes myself one year after making my black belt. Several people approached me about private lessons. I talked it over with my sensei and he gave me his blessing. That fall I made second Dan which I still hold.

If you train by the guidelines set up there should not be many high ranks out there. Shotokan like many styles puts age limits on black belts above 5th Dan. However a lot of people claim to be higher. In Shotokan if you look at the major associations you got to be 35 or 40 to be a 5th dan. Honestly not many people will put that time into it. Even if they do only a select few of us want to teach.

I have met many low Dans that are more than able to teach. I have met many high color belts than are more than qualified. I have even met people who don't hold any formal rank that know a lot about the Martial Arts. However the biggest thing I have met MANY mid and so called high Dans who know nothing about their art.

Rank don't mean much. I respect it and honor it because that is the right thing to do but just because the sign says 8th Dan don't mean he or she is a good martial artists much less a good teacher.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

yeah, just because someone has talent doesn't mean they can teach. My friend is moving to his new school in a couple weeks, where he is taking over for our sa bum nim. so, there are some higher belts there than him. But he is a very good instructor. He has done most of the teaching here for the last few months. Many of us believe that a lot of people will quit after he leaves. We have our leadership team tryouts this week, I'm nervous. Our instructor picks 15-20 people out of the 50-60 trying out (of all ranks from yellow to 2nd dan) to help teach. I'm pretty much guranteed cuz he was using me as an example for the people trying out but I'm still nervous, haha. Anyway, there'll be orange and greens picked to be on that team where red and blacks won't. because they can teach and know how to deal with people. Yes, part of out b-belt test is teaching but that doesn't mean they're great at it, just have the basics.

cho dan TSD

"Every second that you are not training, someone somewhere is training to kick your butt"- Kyo Sa Lyle (my instructor)

"Where we going in 5 months?!?!?!" "Cali!!"

-Spring Break '04

"Life begins at 130 mph".

Couldn't agree more with some of these posts. Even a master can be an ineffective teacher. He/she has the ability to learn, and has fantastic physical abilities. However, teaching is an art in itself. Patience, the ability to describe something from a number of different points of view, and good verbal communication skills are only a few of what an effective teacher needs to have.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

• 2 months later...
Im not sure. Good question. Im guessing I'd probably sit and watch one of the classes before I joined. If I notice the Sensei knows what he is doing, and respects his students, then ill most likely join.

"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make" -Bruce Leehttp://www.myvidtodvd.com/mysmilies/otn/other/leseratte.gif

http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/contrib/xerx/smileystooges.gif

Without a doubt I would join a school run by a 2nd or 3rd dan and probibally a shodan aswell everyone has to start somewhere :)

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

My opinion is that it depends on the person. I would go and see how they taught and watch classes for awhile to see how knowledgeable they are. If I thought they would be a good teacher then yes I would join. Its been my exp that most schools if they get someone of the same rank they will recommend going somewhere else to get higher. Rank to me does not really matter to much. I have learned some things from white belts in different styles.