• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

BJJ book teach some techniques that could be usefull??

I am taking tkd now, and love it. But i want to learn some more self-defense oriented tactics and/or maneuvers so as to be a more well-rounded martial artist. Could reading a book help at all? If so, how much?

Come to CHRIST who is the living foundation of rock upon which GOD builds!!:-)

^1st Peter 2:4^

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I read Brazilian Jiu-jitsu: Theory and Technique by Royler and Renzo Gracie shortly before beginning to train in grappling.

Honestly just reading it will do basically nothing whatsoever, except give you an idea of what you should be doing. So you won't be as clueless as you would otherwise be on the ground, but you still won't be able to pull anything off.

I really enjoy that book and I use it as a reference all the time, but it is strictly a supplement to training.

If you want to learn to grapple, you have to get on the mat.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

Some people pick things up faster and in different ways. For me It was not the moves in the books vs those taught in the class it was the amount of time and effort you put trying to do them on the mat. I devour books and dvds and have used outside instruction more often than moves taught in class because I look for moves that fit me so I will use a set up move for an ankle crank that even though they wont teach those moves in my class due to the level. The good thing is that on the mat I can work on what I want so I do. It is not what you train but how you train.

Books and videos are great... as long as you are also training on a mat against other people :)

I agree with Andrew, if you are already training in the art, you have a better chance of learning something from a book or video and doing it right.

I never said it wasn't dangerous.