• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial arts training help!

Hey guys, i have been doing muay thai for about a year now.

I have had 7 muay thai matches and won all, there is this martial arts tournament coming up soon, where you vs people from all styles but at your level of experience.

The thing is my trainer has closed his gym, and moved interstate, leaving me to train for this thing by myself.

I have been taking some time off lately from martial arts so my fitness has dropped alittle.

My question is what are some really good training drills to get ready for a martial arts tournament, does any1 have experience in these and what are some key points i need to know.

I also am now taking kyokushin, to harden up for the tournament.

Thankyou, anything helps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i know how you feel about your dojo shuting down, happened to me after 7 years there hehe. What i did was do the sam drills as my intructor had me do, but everyday. I spose having cocky kids at school trying to take me down helps... but i dont hurt um :karate:

Technique is all that matters! NOT YOUR BELT!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have had 7 muay thai matches and won all, there is this martial arts tournament coming up soon, where you vs people from all styles but at your level of experience.

The thing is my trainer has closed his gym, and moved interstate, leaving me to train for this thing by myself.

I have been taking some time off lately from martial arts so my fitness has dropped alittle.

My question is what are some really good training drills to get ready for a martial arts tournament, does any1 have experience in these and what are some key points i need to know.

keep training as you were, repeat your training and turn it up a notch as it gets easier

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

• 1 month later...

It depends if your talking about endurance or technique.. or both.

Endurance.. simply use a punching bag and do all the techniques you know.. then do them double time. For a total of at least an hour.

Techniques.. Do everything you know slowly and in front of a mirror. I also discovered my technique got MUCH better when I started teaching. (It never ceases to amaze me how other people can screw something up so totally different.. :lol: )

Either way, both of those will help.

~BBB

Training 14 years

Kalkinodo Blackbelt

This is one my sifu was fond of. Get in a really deep horse stance, now hold your arms parallel to the ground.... now hold it..... for an hour...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

For the most part everybodys responses are spot on, just do as your instructor had you do in the past to train, if its your stamina that your worried about, try doing some cardio and get your heart rate up and exersise. I have been out of martial arts and competition for 20 years and recently got involved again and did compete in a tourament 2 weeks ago, my technique was there just needed to knock the rust off, but my stamina was WAY OFF, it was also the first time that I competed in a continuous combat style. I still managed to walk out undefeated and took home two first place gold medals, it felt good to fight again and win, when I was 16 is was 40-0 now almost 20 years later I realized that I have to keep my body in shape as well as my technique...

Good luck in your up coming competition!!

"The patient fighter does'nt just charge his opponent, attacking at random and exposing himself to a counter. Rather, he waits until his opponite makes a mistake and engages when victory can be ensured" Jhoon Rhee

• 3 months later...

See https://www.rossboxing.com

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

This is one my sifu was fond of. Get in a really deep horse stance, now hold your arms parallel to the ground.... now hold it..... for an hour...

NUTS!!! :bawling: I think that would kill me.

Do some cardio work like running or swimming. Try to find a partner to hold target mitts for you, and explain what you want them to do. Who knows, maybe you will end up training your next training partner in this fashion.

Good luck in the competition. :karate: