Do splits help kicking?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant do the side splits, but can kick straight up. I think high kicking also has alot to do with hip flexablity as well as your obliques. At least it does for me :)

I cant do the side splits, but can kick straight up. I think high kicking also has alot to do with hip flexablity as well as your obliques. At least it does for me :)

I agree...hips play a big part in high kicking. Though, I would say being able to do the splits would help with making your kicks smoother. But I have also noticed that when I am really warmed up and my muscles are lose I can kick fairly higher and easier, then when I'm tight.

I never said it wasn't dangerous.

That's sceptical. I can also do the splits but not centre. How ever It does not help for every time. Side Kicks, I'm sure if middle splits came more easily then the kick can get higher. I think it may have importance for felexiblity, however everybody is different, with different body types. I came to discover that once you get more felexible with all positions while in the splits.... like left to middle to right bent down to the floor and horse stance with all angles of stretching and create good mobility. Less a chance of get hurt and pulling something. I think that even if you are unable to stretch far, it still will help if you can fit comfortable in all positions, whatever your abilities. :brow:

KBear

"lick your wounds, anxious for the next ones"

I can do a split with my right leg in front, and my roundhouse can go almost straight up. I can't do a side split and my side kicks are low (my head height on a good day). My front, stretch, and cresent kicks are straight up tho.

Laurie F

Splits do not help with kicking high. The reason is that when you are doing relaxed stretching i.e. splits your muscles are relaxed. When you go to kick your brain says no and tells your nervous system to lock the muscles. This is why some people can do very high front kicks but can't do a front split. The trick is dynamic stretching. Basically like rising front kicks only for your side kick. You will probably find that this puts most of the stretch on the base legs hamstring. In order to safely do these I recommend finding a bar or something at waist level. bend over so that there is a 90 degree angle between your base leg and your torso. This is bending sideways now. This will keep the knob on the outside of your leg from hitting your pelvis which is what causes alot of the pain. Then just do some straight leg rising side kicks. Remember to do them lightly and not swing them up with all your force. This will prevent serious damage to the muscles and ligaments.

Long Live the Fighters!

• 1 year later...

The fact that I can do splits definately helps the height of my kicks but says nothing for my power. The higher they get the weaker they are. You have to build up the stabilizer muscles to get strong kicks that are high.

Tang Soo!

I can do a split with my right leg in front, and my roundhouse can go almost straight up. I can't do a side split and my side kicks are low (my head height on a good day). My front, stretch, and cresent kicks are straight up tho.

I'm just like this, I can do front splits no problem but side splits is really hard.

To build up strength in my legs, I go into the splits but hold my body upright using the muscles in my legs only, ie. no hands. I also refrain from using my arms to get out of the splits and just use my legs to stand up. I know its only a little thing but I find that it really helps improve my leg strength with regards to lifting my bodyweight around.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Flexibility will help with kicking height, but only if the muscles in the leg are strong enough to hold the kicking leg up at the time. You need both to really make it work well.

Also, just because you can't do the splits, doesn't mean that your dynamic flexibility isn't good enough to let you do high kicks.