• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Quesiton about a certain style....

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I thought maybe here is where I could get my questions answered.

I'm curious as to if there are still people who teach June Keet Do (Bruce Lee's invented style of fighting). I think he is an unbelievable person and one of my heros. I live in Maryland on the east coast of the United States. I tried to google it but wasn't having much luck. I'm really interested in learning this but by watching a 1 hour video I downloaded isn't going to get me to where I want to be.

Thank you all in advance.

-Ray

-Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body.

-It's Not The Size Of The Dog In The Fight, But The Size Of The Fight In The Dog.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Guro Dan Inosanto was the heir to Bruce Lee's school when he died and still teaches JKD at the Inosanto Martial Arts Accademy.

Have a look at his website... http://www.inosanto.com/

I just went to have a look then, it seems to be down, but keep an eye on it, I'm sure it will be back up soon. It has a page on there somewhere with a list of people that are affiliated to his school. I would assume these teach JKD.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Whatever anyone practises could be classes as "Jeet Kune Do" - as long as they mix in their own styles. Brandon Lee said he has his own style of Jeet Kune Do.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering." - Bruce Lee

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I thought maybe here is where I could get my questions answered.

I'm curious as to if there are still people who teach June Keet Do (Bruce Lee's invented style of fighting). I think he is an unbelievable person and one of my heros. I live in Maryland on the east coast of the United States. I tried to google it but wasn't having much luck. I'm really interested in learning this but by watching a 1 hour video I downloaded isn't going to get me to where I want to be.

-Ray

Bruce Lee was pretty remarkable. Not to insult him or his legacy, but keep in mind that some of the things told about him are pure legend. Others are exaggerations and some are actually true. Often after someone dies they become larger in death than in life. Bruce Lee and Elvis quickly come to mind.

Anyway, my point is that you can look up to him, and learn from his teachings, but don't get so awe struck that you dismiss other systems and teachers. Just as there are many horrible styles and teachers, there are also great teachers and styles. Take the time and do some more research, you'll be suprised at what you find.

Also, just my opinion, but you might want to look at a traditional style like Uechi-Ryu or Gojo-Ryu to get a great foundation. Once you do, you can then apply Bruce Lee's teachings to go even further. But a solid foundation would really help you in the long run.

I'm curious as to if there are still people who teach June Keet Do (Bruce Lee's invented style of fighting). I live in Maryland on the east coast of the United States. I tried to google it but wasn't having much luck.

-Ray

There are thousands of jkd (jeet kune do) schools nationwide. Bruce Lee certified three people in jkd: James Lee, Taky Kimura, and Dan Inosanto. James Lee is dead; Kimura runs some schools, and Inosanto has certified hundreds of people himself.

Here is one school in Maryland: http://www.martialartskoncepts.com/

Here is another: Club Name: Jeet Kune Do Academy of Fighting Arts and Sciences

Style: Jeet Kune Do,

Address: 14621 Jaystone Drive, Silver Spring, Maryland, Montgomery, USA, 20905

Contact Details:, (301) 879-6837

And another: Gary Johnson

4209 Ferrara Dr.

Wheaton, Maryland 20906 Certified WJKD instructor.

Here is a small list of jkd schools in the US: http://www.google.com/Top/Sports/Martial_Arts/Jeet_Kune_Do/Schools_and_Instruction/North_America/

As a side note, Bruce Lee certified many other people in Jun Fan Kung Fu and Wing Chun Kung Fu, but I don't have any lists of those. If you search some of those out, they might be interesting to train from.

Hope that helps.

AoG

Thank you all for the help/advice. I really appreciate it!

-Ray

-It's Not The Size Of The Dog In The Fight, But The Size Of The Fight In The Dog.

-Ray

Bruce Lee was pretty remarkable. Not to insult him or his legacy, but keep in mind that some of the things told about him are pure legend. Others are exaggerations and some are actually true. Often after someone dies they become larger in death than in life. Bruce Lee and Elvis quickly come to mind.

Anyway, my point is that you can look up to him, and learn from his teachings, but don't get so awe struck that you dismiss other systems and teachers. Just as there are many horrible styles and teachers, there are also great teachers and styles. Take the time and do some more research, you'll be suprised at what you find.

Also, just my opinion, but you might want to look at a traditional style like Uechi-Ryu or Gojo-Ryu to get a great foundation. Once you do, you can then apply Bruce Lee's teachings to go even further. But a solid foundation would really help you in the long run.

You bring up an excellent point which I fully agree with and I must also add that Dan Inasanto studied Chito Ryu and American Kenpo before taking up study with Bruce Lee.

I've seen too many people with a year or less of study in an art try to take up other arts with the end result resulting in bad technique in both arts...and bad techniques period.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

I understand what everyone is saying. You guys know alot more about this stuff than I do which is the reason why i decided to join the forum and ask the real fighters my questions. I appreciate everyones input. I have talked to one of the instructors about Jeet Kune Do and I start my classes tomorrow night. I'm really excited about it and looking forward to it.

Ive been exposed to boxing, and karate. Took karate as a child and have been boxing for a short time now. (I'm 20 years old). I've unfortunately been in many street fights and not to sound conceited, but I consider my self a good fighter. I never go out and look for fights but for some reason or another people always resort to it to solve problems. Very ignorant in my opinion.

I'm looking forward to posting on this forum more frequently and reading and learning from everyone on here.

Thanks

-Ray

Does seem odd that Bruce Lee would have 'certified people in Wing Chun' as he never got to a very high level in that art - nothing that he could teach with certainly. Or any other art he studied that i'm aware of.

One of the things that I always found sad about Bruce Lee was that he invested tremendous effort and hard work bouncing through systems creating, though sheer natural talent and perseverence and genius, a set of principles and ideas which any one of his teachers would have tought him had he invested the time in developing the foundations they were trying to give to him as a basis for the 'transcending of form' which he spent years trying to accomplish.

Through natural genius and hard work, he discovered concepts that he would have been taught readily by his teachers if he would have stopped being so impatient to learn the 'secrets' for long enough to learn the skills on which the 'secrets' needed to be built upon.

Pretty much the essence of most things American, though.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I'm the first guy to agree that Bruce Lee has a huge amount of "overhype" about him after his death. Don't get me wrong because I love Bruce Lee, but he definitely "caught on" after his death.

Anyways, I just wanted to say that yeah Bruce Lee went ahead and pioneered "the system" or whatever you like to call JKD, a style, without really perfecting other styles, but....

Every style in existence came from somewhere.

If no one was ever willing to try something new, we would either have 1 or 0 martial arts. Someone wouldve created one style, and then everyone wouldve followed it to master it. Who's to say that more, better, and effective styles won't be discovered in the future?

There were, total past and present, probably around 3,000 Kung Fu styles. Maybe more, maybe a few less. And some of them are lost every decade, is my understanding.

If no one tries anything new, someday we will have a Karate style, a Tae Kwon Do style, a Kung Fu style, Kickboxing, and Jiu Jutsu.

Sometimes completely learning one style is great, but we also need to innovate and adapt.

all the best,

tom