Is this excessive?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

something seems a little fishy about the whole article in my oppinion first of most athentic ninjutsu has ben lost for centuries, so i am always kinda on my gaurd when i see ninjutsu anything, let along a person a with a dan that high, but i dont know that much about dans becasue my martial arts system dose not use them.

PEACE :karate: :kaioken:

Yeah it has 15 dans. Did nobody click on the link I put?

I did but wasn't impressed, but I'm always on guard against Martial arts scams. I didn't want to bring it up but since you did, I'll comment.

Anyway, the great thing is you can disagree with me and that's fine.

I also came across this after reading this thread. It's worth looking at, I haven't verified all of the facts, but I know some of the facts are accurate.

http://judoinfo.com/karateranks.htm

I didnt disagree with the advert being a scam I just pointed out that ninjutsu appears has 15 dans. Whether a 15th dan is excellent or not depends on who gave him that grade. IMO the advert looks a bit dodgy and looks like they are biggin' up their gym too much. But isn't that the whole point of advertising? It'd be a poor advert it it said "Average dojo, teaching average martial arts" even if it was true :lol: The wisest decision is just go down to a class as a spectator and check it out. Thats the only way :)

I too do not know much about ninjutsu. I am glad that someone else knew that they had 15 dan grades. Anyhoo, that individual placing the ad probably isn't trying to appeal to experienced martial artists. He/she is going for the inexperienced individual who will ooh and ahh over a 14th dan grade instructor. It would be something to check out though, if I lived in Australia.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

So, let me get this straight, by my reckoning........

1st - 2nd Dan = 1 yr

2nd - 3rd Dan = 2 yrs

3rd - 4th Dan = 3 yrs

4th - 5th Dan = 4 yrs

5th - 6th Dan = 5 yrs

6th - 7th Dan = 5 yrs

7th - 8th Dan = 5 yrs

8th - 9th Dan = 5 yrs

9th - 10th Dan = 5 yrs

10th - 11th Dan = 5 yrs

11th - 12th Dan = 5 yrs

12th - 13th Dan = 5 yrs

13th - 14th Dan = 5 yrs

Total = 55 years continuous training.

Supposing the guy was 16 when he received his 1st Dan, then it is possible, at the age of 71, for him to be a 14th Dan.

Any less than 71 years of age would be questionable, in my honest opinion. However, if the guy is approachable and is willing to divulge into his past, then take him at face value and make up your own mind.

DCMS.

"There's nothing wrong with my defence, you attacked me wrong!"

Ok in actuallity there are 10 dans in the bujinkan the other five are sub categories of tenth dan of the five elements chi, Sui, ka, fu, ku about this guy being a fruad his name sounds familiar but i can always ask my Sensei he should know and do some snooping also with dans in the bujinkan some are good teachers others are just good at budo so take that into consideration i would type more but i just got out of class and im tired

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"

Ninjutsu/Taijutsu has 15 dans. 1-10 are skill ranks and 11-15 are 'giving back to the art' ranks. Subtract 5 and you get what other arts with 10 dans would give, since the difference is that those arts have 5 'skill' dan instead of 10. IIRC, you need 5th dan before you can teach. Nonetheless, 14th sounds oddly high. I don't track ninjutsu circles and haven't for decades, so couldn't speak to that rank.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia