• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am doing the history of karate for a report..

Thereaper

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That is such a broad topic, I'm not sure you can do it justice in a short report. I'd suggesting narrowing your focus to a specific style of karate, perhaps the one you practice? Example: Okinawan Goju-Ryu Karate-do. This is a short summary which you can easily find via Google, along with other articles to supplement your research. http://www.iogkf.com/History/Pages/

Anyone have anyinfo or know of any good sites?

I agree with the last post. You are picking a HUGE topic. You don't mention what grade you're in. So that will depend on how much information you cover, and the detail. In my case, I could write a book on the history of Uechi-Ryu and still be working on volume two or three.

I would suggest that you go to UVA's (University of Virginia) Uechi-ryu club. They have a site that gives information on the various arts.

Depending on the number of pages you have to write, it will set the amount of research and how you setup your paper. In any case, you probably want to give a description of the roots from China, to Okanawa, then to Japan, and then the West. For instance, if you narrow it to Uechi you could write how Kanbun Uechi went to China in the late 1800's and studied there, then returned and how he went to Japan and then back to Okanawa. How his son, took over after his death, then his son followed as the current grandmaster. If you go on to the US you can talk about George Matson and how he went to Okanawa and then brought it back to the US. Pretty clean lines and easy to write.

Or you can talk about some of the various other arts, how there are 4 major Okanawan arts, a ton of Japaneese, and several Korean. In any case, you need to do a little more research. If you need help feel free to private message me. I don't mind Helping you with ideas.