• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No time to lurk

kaireed

I am looking for a few good instructional dvds/tapes of katas for my son.

I have been searching around, and I'm not quite sure which style he is learning. Several of the kata names appear in several different styles. His first kata is Fu-Ku-Gata-Ichi, then Fu-Ku-Gata-Ni, Pinan-Sho-Dan, Pinan-Ni-Dan, Pinan-San-Dan, Pinan-Yon-Dan, Pinan-Go-Dan, Shodan-Heian and about 17 more.

:-?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You have to understand that kata, even if they have the same name, can be performed differently across ryu. Judging by the kata names you've given, your son could be a Matsabayashi Shorin-Ryu karateka. If that's the case, look for the DVD titled Shorin-Ryu Kata performed by Eihachi Ota.

It's neither. It's "Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan", which, according to the website, is "basically a Japanese and Chinese style; but also includes Korean and Okinawan styles."

Shortly put: It's most probably a self made style of the instructor (he's a 9th dan, which is a very high grade in traditional styles unless you're a head of the style). It's not very likely that you'll find any video tapes unless the instructor has produced them by himself.

There are certain elements that made me a bit cautious. First, this is a straight quote from the webpages: "As a member of the Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan organization you will be taught the Kumite and techniques of fighting which has won the Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan respect and notability the world over."

...now, I've never heard about the style before this - and I'm rather well informed about the traditional karate circles, as well as about styles that reign in competitions. Sadly, these claims that they make aren't true.

Other part: "The secret art of Kokyu Ho and Siamese Karate, mind and breath power, and hypnosis is taught."

...well, first, karate is an Okinawan/Japanese art (nowadays depending on style), not Siamese. Second, mentioning "mind power" and "hypnosis" should put one's alarm on rather loudly. What are they teaching there? Are they serious? Are they teaching superstition as means of self-defense.

Sadly, I have to advice you: Search for an another martial arts school for your son. The current one is a bit too suspicious. If you're searching for karate school, known Japanese and Okinawan styles such as Shotokan, Goju-ryu, Shito-ryu, Wado-ryu, Shorin-ryu and Uechi-ryu are a good choice - you'll probably get good karate in those (and will be able to find a school that recognizes your rank etc. if you move to an another city etc).

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

ALL great posts. When I took lessons from this sensei 20 years ago, the "hypnosis" part was only a clearing of the mind and a bit of meditation.

Still, I can see a mish-mash of styles. The first kata, fu-ku-gata-ichi, is found (similarily) in quite a few styles. Wado, Isshyn?, Shorin and Shito so far. I think I am S.O.L.

Thanks

Fukyu gata ich and ni is common amoung shuri styles but not all of them, if you wanna see the original form as it created, get the Nagamine tape (the son of founder of matsubayashi shorin ryu) it its include 2 fukyugata 5 pinan 3 Naihanchi (vol 1.)

at least you see the real kata as it supose to be. i don't recommend the tape by Otta since it's kinda sloppy but you pay less for more kata(18). i just refered you since i saw Mr. George Annarino web site and i did some researsh about him and his style , it's kinda McDojo to me with Artistic kata tournoments and all. good luck

I don't know what to think about this style and dojo, but it is not for any of us in the forum to think. What do you and your son think about the school and the instructor? As for looking for videos. It really isn't a good idea to purchase kata video. Even though heian shodan and all heian kata are similar in basic movements, instructors may teach them slightly different in their dojo. To allow your child to learn from a video and then have him learn it slightly different from the instructor will only confuse him. If you really want to assist him with his kata. Talk with the head instructor. He may help him during private lessons or during class time. Good luck.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.