• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

isshin ryu's 1974 black belt hall of fame Gary Alexander

pepto_bismol

As for Tatsuo. IMO Isshin is a nominal style created by the most nominal of the Shimabuku brothers. From the faulty fist form to the diluted forms. Neither here nor there. If you work with anything long enough you can make it work though.

Just opinions.

thank you very much, what's you opinion about Shotokan?any faulty or diluted , or may be misunderstood forms?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen GM Alexander from a distance and whoever said he has a pressence when in a room wasn't kidding. He does have a very hard look to him in person more so than in pictures I think. As far as his ability I can say I have never had the opportunity to work with him. But age does play a factor and I noticed last time I saw him he was not walking real well.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

In my opinion I think Gary Alexander is one of the best martial artists in Isshin-ryu. And from what I've heard to why he wears his Combat boots is so that it slows his feet down so people can see them I mean if he looked sloppy then maybe its was a bad day but in isshin-ryu there is a lot of focus on power and intensity with great speed.

In my opinion I think Gary Alexander is one of the best martial artists in Isshin-ryu. And from what I've heard to why he wears his Combat boots is so that it slows his feet down so people can see them I mean if he looked sloppy then maybe its was a bad day but in isshin-ryu there is a lot of focus on power and intensity with great speed.
Gary Alexander was in attendance at a tournament in Hackettstown, NJ this past weekend. You knew when he arrived. His dress uniform like attire was impossible to go unnoticed. And by the way, his traditional boots were replaced by black loafers.

He judged weapons kata and was sinban for black belt kumite. He was very liberal with his interpretation of what no-contact meant (it was a no contact tourny). In other rings a simple brush of the helmet earned a DQ. In his ring a mawashi full to the face was the only DQ that I recall seeing.

I would have loved to have seen him, Don Nagle and Ralph Passero go at it in their primes.