• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Learning online

now we have a semi-online type of instruction going on with Saishu Ryu. However it is mostly for testing people who have trained with us in the past, but are either deployed (we have a large number of military), or have changed duty stations out of the area. We still do require our members to train with our Doshu at atleast one seminar a year, and he does travel to their locations.

Needless to say, we accept video examinations for our members, and provide guidance through our members area's forums, and also dvd's of our kata. Personally I think with modern technologies, there is nothing wrong with doing business like this.. however the student has to have had some prior hands on time, be self motivated, and be willing to accept critisizm when they get feedback from their videos.

I know this isn't really the best explaination, but for some of our guys (especially the ones in places like Iraq and Afghanistan) this is the only training outlet they have. Better online and them sending us videos to correct them, and advance them when they are ready than nothing.

John

What ranks do you do this for? As I read your post, I can see that this could work ok for someone with experience but I don't think the typical beginner would have much luck with this sort of training. So how much experience do you require?

The good things I seem from your post, are the help with keeping motivated. I'm sure being out in the sand with not much to do, having a way of training and getting encouragement would be a good thing.

But I know that the training isn't anywhere near as good as having your Sensei right there chewing you out as you mess up over and over and over until you finally get it. So your way of having to train in the dojo at least once a year, helps in this regard.

Overall, I think you've made some good points. I'm not sure how much I like this, but I can see the applications for it. As for testing, I don't think testing in the manner is a good thing. But then this can be a whole new conversation.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your friend is so incredibly wrong, that if he were any more wrong, he would be breaking the laws of the universe in doing so.

LOL i agree online there is no way to learn unless you have someone to practice with you will never ever know if your doing it right or if the technique even work or worst yet if you can even apply it to it feels like your friend is trying to discredit martial arts there are so many things in all martial arts that no computer can come close to providing

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"

Online training can be good if your an experienced martial artist

I agree but i think its mostly good for learning about about style so you can defend your self from them or refreshing your memory on techs you already learned

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"

but what if your real world training doesn't go beyond the practice of forms and drills? having a live instructor still doesn't automatically make you a better fighter.

IF the guy who is looking at everything he can on the internet and testing them for himself with a like minded friend can make it work for him, does it matter if it isn't 100% what it is supposed to be?

to me, it is all still rather situational.

the majority of people out there who regulary get into fights have no training and yet i'd still put my money on them against the average martial artisit.

Why?

Frame of reference and environment of practice. As much as I'd like to say that a proper class is going to make you a better fighter, which after all IS what this is about, all too often, this isn't the case.

what do you think?

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

Would have to agree with the "King" on the point of regular fighters versus the average martial artist, and sadly as stated it is too often the case.

Just to add my two cents worth, if everybody trained from a point of view of no gloves , no protective gear, and no rules of where you may or may not hit , then and only then would it matter , unfortunately the "sport" has become the main focus and the reality is often ignored, and online learning would only give you the sport, and training with one partner only is detrimental, as you soon become familiar with what they know.

Without long practice one cannot suddenly understand Tai Chi : - Tai Chi Classics

admittedly, i have changed the debate slightly as instead of looking at learning a martial art specifically, i've turned it into a learning to fight issue.

in anycase, the important point is the way in which you practice.

learn to fight by fighting or learn to fight by "martial art" methods. One way can be done by itself but the other should involve a portion of the other. In other words, in both methods, there should be an element of the other. If you are going to just fight, then it does no harm to see how other people do it (via online metohds) and giving them a go against your friend. On the other hand, if you are learning in a class, then you SHOULD be also be putting the things you do to proper practice.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.