• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Learning online

A friend told me I was wasting money at my dojo. He said I could learn a martial art just as easily by talking to experienced people on online forums (like this one). His claims are thus: You are able to ask questions and post videos, why couldn't you learn from the internet. I believed training in person was infinitly better, but I couldn't state any actual reasoning. Could anyone help me out. This could possibly spawn an interesting debate if we find some posters from each side of the issue (or if someone is willing to play devil's advocate). Thanks all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. you get to "feel" and get used to the "feeling" of martial arts

2. you get to improve your reaction time

3. it's great to have an instructor there to point out your mistakes

4. sometimes you might train to fight, in that case you deffinately need to get used to training with other people

I don't feel like listing a ton of reasons, and if it's not obvious to you then im sure it is to a lot of people on this forum and they can list more reasons

:brow:

have fun and good luck with your training

YAY pepto bismol

Think of it like trying to teach someone to drive over this forum. They may learn the rules of the road, and when to stop at t stop sign. But if they've never had the benefit of a guide, someone with personal experience to drive with them in the same car...they will never truly understand.

Not only that, but without someone to be there in the beginning that person will no doubt learn the fundamentals of driving incorrectly and it would be difficult to unlearn the bad habits.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Is your friend a "self-taught" person himself?

If so, work out with him and you will see why that does not work out well.

Of course, he will tell you he is great, so you would have to find a few experienced guys for him to spar or demonstrate his moves against.

It will not go well.

Still, it would be a good idea for you to find a few experienced people to work out with in the park. It will give you an idea of which style you would want to try out (if you decide you want to train at a school).

AoG

Yea really not a good idea to just learn off the internet. Theres a reason for dojos. Also as Cathal said, learn the text is fine. But to really comprehend it and get the correct guidance, I strongly recommend anyone to go to a real dojo.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

I agree with Menjo. I learned some stuff off of videos, but I had training under an instructor (for years) before doing so. If you are a beginner, this would be stupid. You can either injure yourself, or someone else for the wrong reasons. Find a good instructor.

Laurie F

I agree that someone just starting needs someone to giude them thru basics. I have been involved in the martial arts since I was 17, now I am 32 and learning something from a video is not a problem but then again I have a solid foundation in basics which is the most overlooked and the most inportant part.

Where Art ends, nature begins.

I completely agree that having someone teach you in person is infinitly better than going by videos, but I can't actually think of any reasons why. One main thing would be corrections, but with videos that could be done. Any consice logical reasoning as to exactly why a dojo is better than a online forum?

We need to figure out why believe what we do, and how to convince other people of this.

Yea I heard of those learn karate online website, I dont like them. I just believe that you should learn martials in person. It like my instructor say with doing techniques, "sometime you cant learn something till you had it done on you". And how can you do that over the internet

"Martial Arts is kinda like yin and yang when you think about it; it 50% physical and 50% mental"