• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

seriously offended

I was once told by a high ranking Master "Go get a black Belt in a martial art diiferent to this. Train for many years and master the art. THen and only then can you look a student of it in the eye and tell him it's crap" True story...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody has an opinion. Some opinions have worth; others, none. Even though I've never tried TKD, I know the dedication it takes to become a martial artist. Can you imagine a water-colour artist dissing a sculptor, or a professional dancer, an opera singer? Everything has some merit, large or small, so perhaps the people who don't respect TKD can't open their view wide enough to see what your art holds and offers. But to you, best of success!

Everybody has an opinion. Some opinions have worth; others, none....

...Everything has some merit, large or small, so perhaps the people who don't respect TKD can't open their view wide enough to see what your art holds and offers.

So you're saying that everything has merit---except for opinions you disagree with.

:-?

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• 2 weeks later...
its common for other martial artists in other schools to badmouth yours

Really? I've never badmouthed another art. I've badmouthed some of the practicioners of particular arts for their attitudes, but I've never badmouthed an art itself.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

i don't know about everone else, but when someone bad mouthes my school, i take it personally. i'm not talkign about random people, mostly other martial artist. i take it to heart. not to the point of physical confrintation but it just really offends me, i have respect for anyone who takes martial arts and where they take it.i spend most of my time Tae Kwon Do, and really love what i do, and some people from the jeet kun do schools and kenpo studious, around my area just have no respect for that and are really bitter towards Tae Kwon Do and where i take it.

on a scale of one to ten though, how many take it as personal as i do, and is it a bad thing? i'm definatly a eight to ten.

dont take it personally, people from kenpo and other more harder styles see sport tae kwon do as a very superficial art. It shouldnt matter to you what people think or say, just be proud you are doing your stuff.

I'm personally not a fan of jeet kun do- dont find it to be as special as they make it out to be, but I dont go talking about them or tae kwon do's.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

People can talk trash about anything they want, but just know that they most likely have never really studied the art(s) that they're dissing. In most cases, I find that when I ask people questions about HKD when they're dissing it, that they tend to back down and admt they don't know much about it other than that a friend told them it was lame.

Cho Dan Hapkidoist and trickster.

People can talk trash about anything they want, but just know that they most likely have never really studied the art(s) that they're dissing. In most cases, I find that when I ask people questions about HKD when they're dissing it, that they tend to back down and admt they don't know much about it other than that a friend told them it was lame.

that happens a LOT

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah... The majority of people in my experience who dis styles of martial arts seem to be either arrogant disciples of another style who think their system is better than everyone else's, or people who really know nothing about the style at all, and are trying to look cool by dissing it around their buddies.

Cho Dan Hapkidoist and trickster.