• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

seriously offended

i don't know about everone else, but when someone bad mouthes my school, i take it personally. i'm not talkign about random people, mostly other martial artist. i take it to heart. not to the point of physical confrintation but it just really offends me, i have respect for anyone who takes martial arts and where they take it.i spend most of my time Tae Kwon Do, and really love what i do, and some people from the jeet kun do schools and kenpo studious, around my area just have no respect for that and are really bitter towards Tae Kwon Do and where i take it.

on a scale of one to ten though, how many take it as personal as i do, and is it a bad thing? i'm definatly a eight to ten.

nomatter what it be, will power and heart produces great things

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take no offense. I hear some derrogatory remarks about Cuong Nhu. Cuong Nhu is an amalgam of seven different martial arts. It was developed in Viet Nam in the sixties and brought to the US in the seventies.

So I've heard that it's not "real" because it's new. And I've heard it's not "pure" because it's an amalgam. And I take no offense. I think remarks like that are made from a position of weakness, ego, and ignorance.

If the person seems open to it, I educate them. If they do not seem open to learning I just respect their position and leave it alone.

White belt mind. Black belt heart.

Rejoice and be glad!

Many MA look down on TKD because of what TKD in general has become offensive to them.

NOT ALL TKD schools do this....

However since it's push into the Olympics TKD world wide has become watered down and become a Sport, not a Martial Art. This is offensive to other more traditional artists.

Furthermore, because of it's popularity, there are many more Mc Dojo's that push ever futher watered down garbage to the unknowing public that they call TKD. 5 year Black belts, Unskilled upper belts, lack of application. This is something else that Traditonalist find even more offensive.

I guess you could say it's not the art that they look down on, it's how it is being market.

I take offense but shrug it off...if a martial artist can ridicule a school or an art he/she is not a real martial artist at heart. A real martial artist has no need to criticize anyones interests because they should be living for instance the tenets of tkd as closely as possible.

martial arts may be made fun of by people who dont understand them---teach these people the true beauty and power of our arts and they will learn, understand, and remember for forever.

---being a teacher is not just an honor its an experience that benifits not only the student but the instructor.

If you're happy with what you're training in, and it works for you, who cares what anyone else says or does.

Each style has both its own merits and downpoints. There is no perfect complete system to please all.

Usually, others just criticize 'cus they're envious of something.

Keep ur cool, and don't let it ruffle you. :wink:

There are no limits.

http://taekwondodiaries.blogspot.com

^^*

Scad, there's been some excellent advice so far, which I totally agree with.

Who cares what anyone else thinks or says?

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and if they bad mouth a particular art, then so be it. It usually means they are poorly educated in the arts/styles and they prove that fact when they mouth off.

DCMS.

"There's nothing wrong with my defence, you attacked me wrong!"

Next time someone dis-respects your school, say "oh, ok, so you've only had a real quick look at it. There's a lot more to it. Come by and have a go" then hand them a business card.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Curtisy, Integrity....These are just words to some and a way to live your life to others. I agree with the statements of just shrugging it off. MA is a discilpline and not a way to say your better then others.

I looked at various types of MA's and I found that TKD fit my needs as it may not fit others.

February 24, 2007 I received my Black Belt in WTF TKD.

I've stopped caring about what others might say about my styles or the schools I train at.

As long as what said wasn't downright slanderous I'm not bothered.

Comments are usually along the lines of "You train in TKD? It's rubbish, I've seen it on the telly at the Olympics" are just water off a ducks back. I'm happy with my training, they're obviously the ones who have a problem!!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!