• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Looking for Advice.

As an instructor how do you respond to a student who pushes themselves too much? I know that setting goals and striving for them is a good habit to have, however what if you encounter a student who constantly pushes you to teach them more and more? Not to the point of obsession, but a cause for concern.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There are all kinds of analogies and metaphors (and advice) for this one. Here's one:

1. Acknowledge and praise their hunger for learning, and encourage them never to lose it.

2. Explain that, while hunger is perfectly normal, constant hunger isn't always a healthy thing.

It sounds like your student has a high mental metabolism, and he needs to be constantly fed one thing or another. This could mean that they're either not being martially nourished, or they're just gobbling up what you teach them without experiencing the taste (the full essence) of what you're teaching, or a combination of the two.

Try giving teaching them something very complicated and deep. Imagine giving a chihuahua an elephant bone to chew on. It'll keep them busy for a while.

So Many Masters; So Few Students

That is very useful information, thank you very much. :)

- Sun-tzu

Just wondering cathal, how well is this students technique? I just recently had a similar situation with a newly promoted yellow belt. She was starving for more information, wanting to learn more than required for her rank. Instead, I said "lets take a look at your white belt kata and all the requirements needed at that level." She was a little shocked but did show me this kata and her defenses. I worked with her and broke it down giving her more advanced technique and asked her to incorporate that into her home practice. I told her when she really improved her technique of white belt material, I would help her with improving technique of her yellow belt requirements. Later she came to me and thanked me for slowing her down a little. She said she hadn't realized there was so much to learn about technique even at beginning levels. I hope it continues to work for her.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I'd say this student is on par with the level they're at. There is a lot of potential in this student, and I don't want anything missed by them going too fast. Then again, I don't want to hold anything back.

Maybe I'm jealous because they are progressing faster than I did.

- Sun-tzu

• 1 month later...
I'd say this student is on par with the level they're at. There is a lot of potential in this student, and I don't want anything missed by them going too fast. Then again, I don't want to hold anything back.

Maybe I'm jealous because they are progressing faster than I did.

That can happen. Great of you to see it. As Jaymac said, look at how well they're doing, and help them perfect all they can. It might even accelerate them more, and if it does you know a few things. One, they are truely committed, and two you're doing a great job. If it slows them down, then you did them the right thing. In either case, you'll either slow them down and they needed it, or they'll get even better. In both cases you do right. Also keep the communication open, and keep up the good work.

I'm with jaymac, here.

We all could probably still improve on our lower belt techniques/kata - how much more so those who just obtained those ranks! Does your style contain a lot of in-depth science or principle behind the motions involved? If so, teach the student the why of what you do - rather than the surface of more advanced techniques.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

• 1 month later...

hmm, in my dojo it is considered rude/improper to ask to be taught new information. If a student wants to work something new, he/she must show the instructor that they deserve to be taught it, but the instructor calls the shots.

hmm, in my dojo it is considered rude/improper to ask to be taught new information. If a student wants to work something new, he/she must show the instructor that they deserve to be taught it, but the instructor calls the shots.

Mine as well. We never ask Sensei to learn new material. We might hint by saying, "Wow, that's a really interesting move/kata/technique", but we would never insult him by asking to be taught material. When Sensei feels we are ready, he teaches us, and we trust his judgement that he is operating in our best interests.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I remember in my Instructor’s class we had a brother-sister combo that always wanted to learn more. At intermediate rank, they wanted to learn black belt forms. At lower-advanced rank they wanted to learn advanced weapons forms.

At first we chalked it up to them wanting to learn more. In hindsight I think they just wanted to get to black belt. As soon as they reached the rank, they quit.

Are you sure of this student’s intentions? Is he/she wanting to progress entirely in the martial arts or is he/she chasing rank? If you are sure of his/her intention, I suggest private lessons where he/she can learn more and faster than the rest of the class.