• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree with most of what people are saying here. I would like to add the option of combining fakes to all of the above. I am average height (5'-9") and I have sparred with opponents up to 6'-4" and there is always an advantage for them. My advantage is that as long as I don't gain too much weight, I seem to be faster than most of them. Of course, that's not universally true but it seems to be common enough that it's worth my time training on ways to take advantage of that. Practice speed drills using combinations on a heavy bag. Then when you get to a tall opponent, fake a strike (any strike) in one direction, and then while he is shifting his weight or guarding, move in another direction and follow up with a second strike. As an example, sometimes I will do a front kick, the opponent blocks or steps back, and immediately I move at an angle (outside works better) and do a punch to the body or head. This works a lot since it is hard to kick while stepping. Of course he still has his hands but at least you may have a chance at taking his longest weapons out of the mix. This is a general type of combination that works on mostly anyone but since so many approaches don't work on taller opponents, I thought it was worth pointing out that I have had success with this one on opponents of all heights. Good luck.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If kicks are the problem, there is an excellent technique for closing the gap, at least with front kicks. Play defensively, jumping back everytime your opponent does the kick. This will cause them (hopefully) to lean into their kicks. When this happens, whack the kick out of the way as hard as possible, then rush STRAIGHT in towards them. With practice, this can work really well and goodly.

Dave

"Between genius and insanity, there lies a fine line. I like to think of it as the tip of the diving board."

-An anonymous insane genius

"Fight I, not as one that beateth the air"

• 2 weeks later...

this may have been said here already, and I've also posted the same thing in other threads. IMO, the best way to deal with reach is to make angles. You have to circle and sidestep in order to get around his offense and into your striking range, otherwise he will simply keep you at bay with long range attacks all day. A perfect example of this in action is mike tyson. He was a master of slipping inside and making angles on his opponents.

someone said earlier that speed was a big factor here. I disagree. what's important is timing. speed implies reaction. you are reacting fast enough to his punch that you can step offline, for example. timing implies proactiveness. you are reading your opponent and your timing is such that you are moving just as the strike it launched.

Besides taking advantage of angles and using fakes (excellent ideas!), you can also try to do more counters instead of initiating the exchanges.

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance

Well even though I'm one of the oldest in our class, I am also one of the smallest so have to deal with this everytime I spar.

My advice would be to use their longer reach to your advantage by moving around their kicks close to them, and attacking yourself.

"...to stand between the candle and the shining moon..."

I find it useful to block hard, use the elbow to the foot or leg when he kicks, block hard or strike the arm like the bicep and shoulder, after a few of these if you are efective, he will think twice about attacking. I know a boxer who will punch your arms until they are to sore to hold up any more. or take the hit, I always say it does not matter what he does to me because I have a job to do and it is going to be a lot worse for him.

Where Art ends, nature begins.

Deflection, in my opinion, is the most efficient way to deal with someone w/ longer reach than you.

I often spar a friend of mine who is very proficient in a kicking style and much taller than me (I'm 5' 10" he's 6' 5"). When I see a kick come in, I move it to the side and take a big fast step in, then rely on Wing Chun to take care of the rest. Your best bet from stepping in on them is to take them down or upset their stance, and ALWAYS stick, never give them the option to step back and mount another attack. When I get in I usually step on their feet or cross legs with them to keep them from using their footwork to move back, then their long arms become their liability.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

be faster than them

"Now the valiant can fight; the cautious can defend, and the wise counsel. Thus there is none whose talent is wasted."

-Li Ch'uan-