• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju Ryu

MiccyNarc

Yep, the two styles are complementary. Not only that, when one gets advanced enough one can see that the differences are not so great in that practically all of the movement in one style are represented in the other. The emphasis is different.

There is an offshoot of Goju-ryu called Go-ju-chi-i, anybody here practices that?

ossu.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, thought I'd just mention, there is 26 Shotokan Kata, not 19.

Other than that though, great comparison!

Depends on the tradition. Those such as Shotokai (Egami) and SKA (Ohshima) following the practice via the Wasada University Club (Gigo/Egami) and the "the Shotokan" (Funakoshis school) will practice only 19 kata (see Karate-do Kyohan by Gichin Funakoshi). The Tokyo University Club, JKA (Nakayama) and other Shotokan spin-offs practice 26 kata (see Dynamic Karate by Masatoshi Nakayama).

Even in Goju there is some minor contention on what are the correct kata (i.e. Togouchi vs Yagi).

True, but just because Funakoshi didn't practise them doesn't mean they're not there.

JKA is originally from Funakoshi..... (well, by that I mean his students started it....... I think)

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

True, but just because Funakoshi didn't practise them doesn't mean they're not there.

JKA is originally from Funakoshi..... (well, by that I mean his students started it....... I think)

True, the JKA was not started by Funakoshi. It was created by a group of businessmen who hired Nakayama as best as I can tell, was then a 1st Dan under Funakoshi and "JKA" promoted him to 9th dan and set him up as "Chief Instructor" of the JKA. Only much later was Funakoshi named "honorary master" but he only taught at the JKA a couple of times before his death.

The Wasada U. club (aka "Old Boys Club") lived and breathed Funakoshi and still to this day try to preserve exactly what Funakoshi taught. Funakoshi never "endorsed" any group other than to indicate it is for his students to carry on the Way (wherever that may lead). So that way whether a "style" has 19, 26 or 108 kata it would still be Shotokan.

It seems about this time even Goju was having it's own problems and trying to standardize things for "Okinawan Karate" in order to gain the same recognition for itself that Funakoshi (an Okinawan BTW) gave Shotokan! After Myagi's death, it is my opinion, the Goju-ryu heirarchy fell apart which caused a sort the backlash effect I experienced when I was training in Goju in the later 50's and 60's.

(How was that huh? I tied the post back to Goju... :D )

Quote: It was created by a group of businessmen who hired Nakayama as best as I can tell, was then a 1st Dan under Funakoshi and "JKA" promoted him to 9th dan and set him up as "Chief Instructor" of the JKA.

Wow, he was jumped from 1st dan to 9th? Wow.

1st to 9th that is a huge jump. You know loearning the history like of a style or of Masters is always interesting, anyone know some cool goju ryu history that they can post?

"You must have emotional content" Bruce Lee