• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju Ryu

MiccyNarc

Ya i can't wait to learn a kata like saifa cause i have seen it done by some of the higher belts and it looks real interesting. As for examples of hard soft i am unable to give examples as P.A.L requested cause im still learning and im still distinguishing between them. There is still a long road to walk to reach the my next level (green belt).

"You must have emotional content" Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long time ago in a dojo far away, a rag-tag bunch of karate-ka (including me) practiced Goju-ryu. We did this for about 15 years until we discovered Shotokan. However, Goju kata are still part of our syllabus, but that's a secret, and you never heard it from me.

Long time ago in a dojo far away, a rag-tag bunch of karate-ka (including me) practiced Goju-ryu. We did this for about 15 years until we discovered Shotokan. However, Goju kata are still part of our syllabus, but that's a secret, and you never heard it from me.

could you tell us what happened that you switched to shotokan after 15 years of goju practicing

could you tell us what happened that you switched to shotokan after 15 years of goju practicing

A lack of consistant leadership in the local Okinawan Goju community. I suppose you can call this politics. We wanted better quality guidance.

Growth of karate in the early years in the US was no picnic.

Wat's the difference between shotokan and goju ruy?

Hmm... Ok, a quick 5 point over-simplified checklist on the major differences...

Goju Ryu

1. Short upright stances.

2. Shorter "snappier" strikes and kicks.

3. 12 kata emphasizing ibuke breathing built around Kata Sanchin.

4. Very suitable for close in fighting.

5. Strong circular movements.

Shotokan

1. Long low stances.

2. Longer "driving" strikes and kicks.

3. 19 Kata emphazing maai and speed built around Kata Kwanku.

4. Better suited for longer distance fighting.

5. Strong linear movements.

We can look at the styles from a human morphology perspective and I believe that Goju-ryu is more suitable for people of the brachiomorphic physique whereas the Shotokan style is more suited for dolichomorphic bodies. This is evident in the generalized characteristics of the kata and even kihon practice.

So both physically (see above) and ideologically (Go and Ju vs just Go) the two styles are rather different. However, those who train in Shotokan long enough will come to find the two styles are more complimentary than opposite.

So there, that's my take on the differences.

Kivikala wrote:

We can look at the styles from a human morphology perspective and I believe that Goju-ryu is more suitable for people of the brachiomorphic physique whereas the Shotokan style is more suited for dolichomorphic bodies. This is evident in the generalized characteristics of the kata and even kihon practice.

wat is a brachiomorphic and a dolichomorphic? I have never heard those terms before

"You must have emotional content" Bruce Lee

Kivikala wrote:

wat is a brachiomorphic and a dolichomorphic? I have never heard those terms before

brachiomorphic = long limbs

dolichomorphic = short limbs