• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju Ryu

MiccyNarc

I have done Goju for about 5 and a half years now, and i recieved my Jr. Shodan Chukyu last October. This is the only style i have ever done and i love every aspect of it.

I train under Sensei Gene Villa (6th Dan), in Spokane WA.

"good enough is the enemy of excellence"

Shodan Goju Ryu karate-do under Sensei Gene Villa

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an orange belt belt now and i also study goju ryu, i find its an excellent style especially since its a mix of hard soft. My favourite kata so far is geki sai ichi.

I train under Sensei Tonon in sudbury

"You must have emotional content" Bruce Lee

I'm an orange belt belt now and i also study goju ryu, i find its an excellent style especially since its a mix of hard soft. My favourite kata so far is geki sai ichi.

I train under Sensei Tonon in sudbury

what is your take on hard&soft in karate?

Quick background on me: 13years of Goju training under two instructors

This hard soft thing - hard to see what you mean. As i hope you gathered GoJu itself means Hard Soft and i think studying it for long enough you find that hard and soft applies to every aspect of the style from attack defense, style to breathing tho without clarification I can't see what you mean?

Cheers

Take life and live it

BBK2132, you have a very good sensei! He will teach you well. Don Vieira

You know him? How?

I agree with you though, he is a very good sensei and i feel very lucky to be training with him.

"good enough is the enemy of excellence"

Shodan Goju Ryu karate-do under Sensei Gene Villa

• 2 weeks later...

to me hard/soft gives u more of an option ur not totally going going in the one direction but more mixing them together so depending on the situation u can go hard or soft or just mix the 2 type thing

"You must have emotional content" Bruce Lee

to me hard/soft gives u more of an option ur not totally going going in the one direction but more mixing them together so depending on the situation u can go hard or soft or just mix the 2 type thing

give me an example of hard and soft, I consider Tensho to be soft and Sanchin as hard although Tensho may looks hard to some people.

I am a huge fan of Goju-Ryu (probably since I've been studying it for almost 15 years) It is a very good style. Hang in there for the long haul. If you love the geiki sai dai ichi and ni katas, you're in for a treat later on. Next on your list should be saifa where you start to see some of the white crane influence in our art, and the kata get better and more exciting from there.

"On Ko Chi Shin"