• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question

mtheiss

Is this an appropriate test?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Is this an appropriate test?

• Good idea, good plan, ten minute serprise fight good.
    • Good idea, ten minute serprise too short, bad shock.
    • bad idea, forget the ten minutes, bad test.
    • The girl should have been told a couple weeks ago.

Hello,

I am sorry that many of you were unable to read my post. Here is a rewrite of the situation. We are in the shower room of the dojo. The young lady is finished with a kata and light workout day. When she gets out of the shower expecting to leave, she is "confronted" with a new gi and the note saying she has to be ready for a fight in ten minutes. Nothing more is on it to suggest who she will fight, no idea if there will be any officiating, only that she is to put on the gi and be ready to be hauled out ten minutes after the water noise is turned off.

Other than of course this is a bare knuckle fight, I hope this rewrite would suffice as to solving your issues.

Thank you for the feedback,

Martin

"Not all the best people can be found in the ring"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry that I was confusing at first as to the punchline. It is a story that is not finished at this point. That is intentional. But a few people are right here assuming this is a staged match with a "fly in" opponent leaving her in the dark until ten minutes before the fight. And no, the one we will fight did not have any "sleepless nights" in the couple weeks before the match and relished the chance to do their bidding on a target which as you all well know would be ready for the match aside of course of the "mental block" prospects.

I hope this is enough for you to work on for a few days.

Martin

Perhaps the intention and purpose of your post would generate more participation. Is this a story for a book, a screen play, etc...?

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

Not knowing whether the 20 year old has adequately trained to fight professionally or if she is indeed fighting a professional fighter is making it tough to answer. If it were me and I was prepared to fight -no matter who it is- I think I would like to know a little about the fighter. is she typically a kicker, a puncher, or combination of both. Wanting to go professional, I would want to know what the length of her arms are etc... maybe study some film on some of her fights. I mean this isn't like getting into a suprise fight with someone out on the street. It is a scheduled fight against a worthy opponent. Who would want to go in a ring and look like a complete novice?

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

NO WAY!!!

An "on the fly" surprise professional fight would be an extremely poor idea. It can take months to be properly prepared for a professional fight. The proper Macro and Microcycles would need to be prepared. Nutrition, rest, balance...there are just too many variables. As an atheletic trainer...NO WAY. The theory is good...in practice it would not work.

Think about it this way. If a champion boxer did not train for a fight...and then was given 10 minutes to prepare... he/she would be smashed. I don't care who it is.

This is all assuming the fight is full contact.

If it's point fighting...okay...maybe. No reputable coach would put their fighter in such a postition anyway.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Mtheiss, are you talking about a story or a real situation? Either way, what does the fighter being female have to do with anything?

If this was a real fight, I don't think it's a good idea to spring it on her at the last minute. Not everyone would react well to that situation.

Plus, sleepless nights aren't necessarily bad. Even if we don't sleep well before a major event, our brains are sharp and ready for anything.

Kata is like a good stir-fry: preparation and timing are everything.

Hi,

I have read your comments and questions. She expressed to the sensei a few months ago (probably around six or so) that she was prepared for high level training worthy for a "professional" fighter. The sensei, like now, did not laugh at her. The sensei knew that her student was worth the effort. She trained her like hell and on the day of the fight it was a "lighter" training effort but not remarkable otherwise.

I figure the big question on your minds is the identity of our serprise opponent. I will not answer that question other than the identity being someone worth "testing" her to prove she was a realistic fighter. There has been no study of "tapes" on either side (partially knowing that on our end there are no tapes availible because she has never sparred before) and the sensei intentially left the whole matter secret until "the serprise".

Out of respect to the fact that I assume most of my respondants are honest and ethical karate athletes, there will be no comment as to the rules of this particular fight, until I recieve a few posts allowing me to have an "open mind" about it. My only other major comment at this point is to say the two trainers were best friends since childhood, our trainer being a woman, and the "unknown" trainer being a man who shares her views on proper and general training skills including among other things what good athletes should exhibit outside the gym.

Thank you for your interest,

Martin

Dear Penda,

Please accept my thanks for your post. Relax. She was trained well for it. The matter of the lack of notice was simply a tatic to reduce the training strain on her mind so she should be ready to fight. The whole point of this particular match is to prove to see if our lady is worth professional treatment. All I am saying is that afterward that point would be real clear depending or not if she wins.

Thank you,

Martin

One last comment,

As far as the rules of the match, both of the fighters have been trained in "full contact" karate, but they are both prepared to, how can we say it, take advantage of any "during fight" situation although they are told to try to keep the fight to "standing karate" as much as possible.

Bye.