• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question

mtheiss

Is this an appropriate test?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Is this an appropriate test?

• Good idea, good plan, ten minute serprise fight good.
    • Good idea, ten minute serprise too short, bad shock.
    • bad idea, forget the ten minutes, bad test.
    • The girl should have been told a couple weeks ago.

Ok, as I tried to explain before, I am not into karate styles but just an observer. However, there is this pressing question on my mind which I have been pondering for a while. We are at a serious karate gym, and one of the young lady students, 20 years old, suggests to the boss that she wants to go pro. After a few months of serious workouts and heavy hitting the lady coach finds out that one of her best friends has "another fighter" who is ready to go for a major fight.

After a light workout on a day which would not be remarkable on her training schedule the young woman finds out that her coach slipped in the shower room while she was in the shower and left her favorite gi out. There is a note saying that she is listening to the noise of the shower water and is starting a ten minute clock to grab her for a big match instantly when she is sure the water has turned off. She will not say who she will fight, nor what the rules are (if any), and she has to be prepared for "everything" when the coach comes in to take her out for the "fight".

"Not all the best people can be found in the ring"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a fictious story brewing here that's not completed??? I not sure that what you wrote is realistic as to what we do here as Karate-Ka...

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

I think I get it. A female fighter has been training for a while to be prepared for a "pro" fight (leave out that there's not usually such things in karate). One day she comes in for training and her Sensei has left her a gi and a note saying she has 10 mins to be prepared to fight - no indication of who the figher is or how good they are. Therefore this female karateka has to be ready for anything/anyone.

Is that correct mtheiss?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

After reading it twice, I understood what you were saying about this 20 year old karateka.

But...what again is the pressing question?

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up." - Muhammad Ali

Maybe we're dealing with the question: is this a good way to get the girl into the fight?

As an instructor the person in the story KNOWS she'll hae a lot of "feelings" as she's preparing for this. Knowing the big night is still unknown is OK for her, that's why she's training 'normally'. As she would know the day approaches she'll be emotional as many of us are when before an exam or tourney.

My guess is that we are asked here if by this "trick" the instructor could save her those sleepless nights. When you're fighting in 10 minutes time you can either be too shoked or maybe don't have time to THINK about this. It could mean that she'll "cut off" some days of thinking "what if" and having bad thoughs about it. In the end we're talking about a serious event in her life.

what would I chose?

Don't know .. for me it would be a nice idea to just put me to fight with no other information .. I wouldn't be shoked. But she might get a "mental block" and be unable to fight. In the end it's about the instructor to know her and to deliver the "news" the best he can.

Although a bit cryptical at first, I find the thread quite challenging ;)