• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are you a 9th dan like me??

Taekwondo is changing, it became popular because of the old ways not the modern art we see today. I believe Taekwondo should be removed from the Olympics and we should go back to the old ways. Taekwonmudo is doing just that. By introducing new patterns which compliment peoples kicking styles and lots more self defence.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taekwondo is changing, it became popular because of the old ways not the modern art we see today. I believe Taekwondo should be removed from the Olympics and we should go back to the old ways. Taekwonmudo is doing just that. By introducing new patterns which compliment peoples kicking styles and lots more self defence.

The "old" ways?

TKD as a recognized art is 50 years old. There aren't any "old" ways. And, if you remove TKD from the Olympics, you remove one of the primary reasons for the popularity of TKD.

There is a difference between sport TKD and "regular" TKD. Most schools teach both styles of fighting, as well as self defense and other "street" techniques.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

There is a difference between sport TKD and "regular" TKD. Most schools teach both styles of fighting, as well as self defense and other "street" techniques.

Yup, even in WTF schools there's not that many clubs that just teach WTF sparring and nothing else.

Clubs in the UK that are members of the BTCB (which you basically have to be if you are a WTF club and want to enter WTF rules competitions in the UK) have a set syllabus for grading, which includes various aspects of TKD including several types of sparring - not just Olympic rules - as well as breaking, patterns, self defence and other things.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Yup, even in WTF schools there's not that many clubs that just teach WTF sparring and nothing else.

Clubs in the UK that are members of the BTCB (which you basically have to be if you are a WTF club and want to enter WTF rules competitions in the UK) have a set syllabus for grading, which includes various aspects of TKD including several types of sparring - not just Olympic rules - as well as breaking, patterns, self defence and other things.

Yep. Our testings for colored belts have at a minimum: Forms, one steps/sparring combinations, free sparring, board breaks and self deffense combinations. As you get higher, we add weapons forms, self made defense flows and 2 or 3 on 1 sparring.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• 2 weeks later...
if you were a 9th dan in TKD what would you do/try to change TKD??

for me : the 1st thing is: Head contact punches allowed in sparring.

You? :)

My instructor is a 9th Dan (Kukkiwon) & he has reistated face punches in our organization.

USCDKA.com

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton