Are you a 9th dan like me??

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhm, wow. There's a lot of erroneous information there.

1) The USTU was never run by the kukkiwon. The kukkiwon is only a certifying body for black belts, they don't certify athletic unions. You had to be certified by the kukkiwon as a black belt to be eligible to compete for national spots, but any instructor registered with the kukkiwon could process your app.

2) The USSSA does NOT preside over Olympic planning. The National Governing body recognized in the US by the IOC is USA Taekwondo, with the website of http://www.usa-taekwondo.us

3) The USTU was disbanded and discredited because of financial malfeasance and poor management, not because it was run by a foreign organization (See #1).

Aodhan

Wow, apparently I was misinformed. Sorry about that. The information I have came from a USSSA official, so maybe they're turning back into the USTU, just lies and egoes. :cry:

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i would take it out of the Olympics, punchs to head, and try to disband all those different organization like wtf and the others just make one. And some other stuff i would have to think bout.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to get consistency into the judging of the tournaments. I would try to place an equal importance on forms and sparring for tournament competition. I kind of like the idea of accumulating points throughout a tournament season, and then competing for a nationally based title (kind of like the ATA's point system). I also believe in intstuctor certification.

I am not so conerned about changing the rules of sparring, but changing how it is scored. More points for head kicks, one point for puches (if they are clean), and try to deamphisize round kicks and scoring with other kicks as well.

I dont trust anything that becomes "americanised" leave TKD korean..if it aint korean it aint TKD...just incorporate HKD in it!

I like that idea. TKD sorely lacks a system for joint manipulation and self-defense.

I dont trust anything that becomes "americanised" leave TKD korean..if it aint korean it aint TKD...just incorporate HKD in it!

Agree 100%

HaKUnA MaTaTA

if you were a 9th dan in TKD what would you do/try to change TKD??

for me : the 1st thing is: Head contact punches allowed in sparring.

You? :)

The head punches are allowed! But you have 2b 2 close to punch in the head, instead kick.

Work to return TKD to a self-defense oriented art by de-emphasizing the Olympics. Get rid of point sparring altogether. Reengineer the hyung to have more meaningful bunseoh. Make TKD a lifelong art by demphasizing the high kicks.

There are a lot of self defense and street ofensives in TKD, but not avery teacher teaches those.

Live your day as it is the last, think like gonna live forever.

Hmmm...

I'm only a 3rd degree and I already have the power to change taekwondo. Since I own a school I can teach it exactly how I like as long as I include the core skills and forms of traditional taekwondo. How I teach and what else I teach is up to me.

I hope you guys that want to change taekwondo only want to change your own taekwondo and not mine. I like mine just the way it is.... Well, OK, I change it from time to time to keep it interesting or incorporate new things, but I get to decide!

Nice, but when your students take the test for the black belt where do the take the test?? In your dojo by you, or at the federation??

see here when some1 want to test for the black belt, he tests for it in the federation, and the journey wont accept any forms but tuagek. What if you decided that you want to teach your students something else other that the tuagek form?? Or you didn't teach them the back hooking kick, simply becuse you think its a stupid kick. Your student will never take the black belt.

I hope this was clear. if not take O and put A add some -ings, take some word n put smthn else.

I think that these two points illustrate what happens in TKD. Once a person gets to a certain rank, and wants to do his own thing his own way, he decides to branch out on his own, and start his own school or organization. The person may keep his old forms, like ITF forms, that are not copyrighted, and adjust them a little. Others will create their own system and curriculum.

I think that these branchings have both positive and negative effects on the martial arts in general. These opinions are probably better left to a different thread.

i would take it out of the Olympics, punchs to head, and try to disband all those different organization like wtf and the others just make one. And some other stuff i would have to think bout.

If you do this, you will eventually see branches from the organization again in the future, because of political rifts that will form. Egos will develop, people will become upset, and people will branch away.

It always happens.