• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

question for traditional ITF practitioners

hey all! im assuming that you all have heard of "sine-wave" being in ITF, and "Hip-twist" now ITF over the years has started to put a lot of emphasis on the sin-wave part instead of hip twist, and i believe this is not very efficient because you get ALL of your power from the sharp twist in your hips. if you practise hip twist correctly you will get a natural sine wave. so i believe that sine-wave is a byproduct of hip-twist.

what are your views/opinions, im open for debate.

Sine-Wave or Hip Twist?

Thnx Much!

Do, or do not!

There is no "try"

-Yoda

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I used to practice TKD and we used the Chang Hon forms. I always thought the sine-wave was messy and rather dubious on scientific principle myself, although I was a poor physics student.

Shotokan, Okinawan goju-ryu, & isshin-ryu are three karate styles I can think of off the top of my head that use technique which do not mesh with sine wave movement at all. It always struck me that the main goal ITF guys had with sine wave was just to differentiate themselves from others, as opposed to sine wave having any real merit on its own.

• 3 weeks later...

The "Sine Wave", as a technique, is one of the most inefficient ways to deliver power/weight/speed. The "Hip Twist" is better, but both pale into insignificance compared to the vastly superior Shukokai "Double Hip".

DCMS.

"There's nothing wrong with my defence, you attacked me wrong!"

just as a note, since someone brought up physics... that being my specialty :D

the most effective method of delivery power to a kick, is the fully extended leg vs hip movement that MT uses... the sine wave itself [even mainly as an ITF practitioner] i have to admit is massively ineffective, in that it requires a great amount of balance to pull off and actually allow the power generated to pass through the stance and therefore into the blow you are delivering, and even when mastered does not contribute a great amount of power to the technique...

Before anyone brings it up, about how everyone bounces in sparring to gain power - and this is a "sine wave" - yes it is, but it is not used as apower delivery system, simply a way of keeping the body mobile.

If anyone feels like [and i say this a lot] a proper physics breakdown of the various techniques, and my reasoning behind the statement i made about hte most effective one being the MT style in general, I am happy to either email or private message you this, just that the diagrams and formula arent easy to represent on a text only message board :D