• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Respect important?

Shadow90

Hi everyone, Im kinda new here. Well I always used to lurk here, but I decided to make my own account.

Little about myself;

Sex: Female

Style: Wado, and used to do Kyokushin Kai

Next exam: Februari 12th for Yellow band Wado

*Also English is not my first language :3

Well heres my point:

I'm doing karate for like 9 months and there was this other girl in my class. She has a yellow band, and I always used to look up at here... But she rarely comes. Which kinda dissapoints me. Its almost time for a exam, and our Sensei wont allow her to do the exam because she never comes. She doesnt cares anymore. She say's she lives in another city and that her dad needs to bring her with the car, but actually she lives accros my street. She dont know that. Im worried about her.

Why are some people like this? Dont they have respect or are they just lazy?

I also know some other girl who is a green belt Wado style. And she doesnt respect anyone else. She only gossips and is looking for trouble all the time. She's kinda mean :/ She also wants to quit it but her parents wont let her, maybe thats makes her stress...

I always thought that if you dont respect someone else, you wont come far in karate or any other Martail Art. But they both a yellow and a green belt. Or am I just wrong? I thought respect was the most imprtant thing there is. Im just a little confused...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First off - welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy it :)

I always thought that if you dont respect someone else, you wont come far in karate or any other Martail Art. But they both a yellow and a green belt. Or am I just wrong? I thought respect was the most imprtant thing there is. Im just a little confused...

I guess my thoughts on this are: "you won't come far in karate" is kind of subject to interpretation... they may be higher ranked than you - but are they really getting more out of it overall? :idea: You might "get more" out of karate by being humble and respecting others - regardless of rank. :)

Just my opinion :)

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

Unfotunately, not everyone has the ideal respect of a martial artist. Over time, you just get used to it. Invariably the outcome is the same, they either don't stick it, or their attitude changes. (in our school) people with attitude problems don't make it to black.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Good advice above, id say just forget about her. Especially if shes walking around with that attitude, just focus on what you have to do and your priorities in regards to your training.As said above, many people will pass and go, O yea and welcome to KF.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

You'll meet many people with other priorities in life, so just focus on yourself. 5 years ago I would train for 5 times a week, never skipped a lesson. Couldn't understand why people would miss a class.

Now I work at a firm and have a lot of sites. I am involved in more than just my good Karate. Had some health issues too and imagine I haven't trained for 3 monts now after another hiatus of 8 months. How can I stand myself? :lol: I know I have other priorities now. I need to earn some money and then when I have time and will be fully recovered I'll be able to train.

Morals: watch your own evolution. Study as hard as you can now. You'll never what happens tomorrow ;)

Respect does get you far in MA and in life. You seem to be a very respectful and caring person. Unfortunately, you are going to see many people come and go in MA. Those lacking respect rarely make it to black belt. I bet you will make it though. Good luck on your upcoming test. You will do well.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Unfotunately, not everyone has the ideal respect of a martial artist. Over time, you just get used to it. Invariably the outcome is the same, they either don't stick it, or their attitude changes. (in our school) people with attitude problems don't make it to black.

I think you could say that for other aspects of life, too. Like your work and school.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I guess my thoughts on this are: "you won't come far in karate" is kind of subject to interpretation... they may be higher ranked than you - but are they really getting more out of it overall? :idea: You might "get more" out of karate by being humble and respecting others - regardless of rank. :)

Just my opinion :)

Hmm well the green belt is kinda good with kata's, she won some prizes... but she never does sparring.

Actually, what is more important; sparring or kata? I know theyre both really important but I thought the main reason for any martial art is sparring, to get harder and stuff.