• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Uniform Etiquette and Care

b3n, I do understand the idea behind not washing the obi. It was prior to the implementation of the colored belt system that by merely wearing the belt it was turned from white to black by the sweat and dust of the training. The darker the belt, the more training one had done.

The only reason not to wash the belt is to honor the old tradition. As it stands today, no white belt will ever go to black, because we are graduated to a colored rank periodically. Even in Cuong Nhu where students stay at the white belt level for 9 month to a year, there is only enough wear on the belt to make it look dingy.

Edited by Spirit At Choice

White belt mind. Black belt heart.

Rejoice and be glad!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never washed my best. I do like a clean gi though. Yes indeed belts get smelly after time. Now adays you can spray them with that fabric freshener stuff I suppose but then you'll have a non-MA sent about you. :P

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

You guys are funny. Of course you should wash your obi if it gets dirty or smelly. All the Asian cultures I've been exposed to (Japanese, Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean) value cleanliness. My current dojo specifically states dirty uniforms should be cleaned before you return for practice.

The "Do Not Wash Your Belt" tradition is an American invention and should go the way of the leisure suit and the Ford Pinto.

Oh, and to answer the original question, I own five dogi. None of them are the super inexpensive student-weight uniforms, but I find a better uniform is worth it. Heavier uniforms actually keep me cooler since they don't cling to my skin when wet, and they are less likely to rip during the odd throwing session or two.

If you want your uniform to last longer, don't dry it in the dryer. Line dry it instead.

I've tried a number of dogi brands. I can cheerfully recommend the Kamikaze America if you're willing to spend about $95. The Wacoku 14 oz can be purchased for $60, and it too is a good value as is the Pro Force Ultra 14 oz at around the same price.

The other night I discovered another good reason for washing the obi- blood. It happens, and now my obi must be washed for sure :)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

You guys are funny. Of course you should wash your obi if it gets dirty or smelly. All the Asian cultures I've been exposed to (Japanese, Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean) value cleanliness. My current dojo specifically states dirty uniforms should be cleaned before you return for practice.

The "Do Not Wash Your Belt" tradition is an American invention and should go the way of the leisure suit and the Ford Pinto.

LOL. Good point. And I do agree.

Laurie F

1) I'll search for other threads on belt-washing since it seems to have already been discussed.

2) I will definitely invest in another gi or two. It gets too hard to maintain just one when I train 3 - 5 times per week.

3) Interestingly enough, the subject of bleaching gis came up in an oblique way today after class. According to my sensei we should add at least enough bleach to kill any microorganisms. It's a body odor issue that seems to have come up in one of the classes. The recomendation was 1/4 Cup bleach each wash. :idea:

Thanks for all the input, especially about good gis. Being a newbie is hard, and being able to rely on more experienced martial artists really helps pave the way.

White belt mind. Black belt heart.

Rejoice and be glad!

You never wash your belt, no matter how "nasty" it "looks".

lol, I tried washing it with my gi a few times, I think I need to was it alone because it really messes the belt up, and the stripes. Anyway what is the point of washing a colored belt? it doesn't seem to get very dirty.

YAY pepto bismol