• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Uniform Etiquette and Care

I learned (too late) that we are not supposed to wash our obis. I guess I am wondering if this is still a reasonable tradition since the implementation of a colored belt system. I understand the symbolism of not washing the belt, but it just looks nasty to have a dingy belt wrapped around a spanking white gi.

Also wondering how others maintain their uniforms. I only own the gi my sensei gifted me when I joined in October. I expect it will last quite a while even though I tend to bleach it often (once a week). But, I am taking my first rank test tonight and will now have to affix an association patch in order to have a regulation gi. Bleaching will no longer be an option or the patch will be ruined.

Since I wash it several times per week, I notice it is getting really soft and doesn't "swish" as nicely as it used to. Is it ok to starch it to give it a little pep and snap? Do most people own more than one gi? If so what is a good brand for a student (economy) gi?

Thanks,

Spirit

White belt mind. Black belt heart.

Rejoice and be glad!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When your uniform is dirty, wash it. Since your belt is part of your uniform, wash it when it is dirty.

Two things that wear out your uniform quickly are bleaching and putting it in the dryer. Use stain cleansers like shout as soon as possible and wash after each use of the uniform.

I own five, basically one for every practice of the week. If you plan on staying with your art for a while, the convinence is definitely worth it.

I never wash my belt. It's worn down, and I'm proud to say that it happened naturally.

I do wash my gi, however. I only bleach it whenever it's really dirty.The only stains ours are allowed to have is blood. :-)

I think that it depends on how often you train.... If you are training 4 days a week, two hours per session, your gi is obviously going to have twice the wear and tear as someone who trains twice. Also, if your style does takedowns, you may want to spread out the trama you cause it. Some people also have a special gi they like to wear for competition. For Karate when I was younger I had two, but we had pretty sweaty workouts. Now I only have one for Kajukenbo, but its a good one, and all I really need. For Judo/Ju-Jitsu I have two.

So I guess it depends.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

I own three uniforms for the three days that I train in TKD. And one Judo gi for jujitsu (I train once per week in that). I wash all my uniforms in the wash with Oxy Clean (no bleach) and detergent. I dry my TKD uniforms in the dryer, but not my Judo gi (it'll strink), so I hang dry it.

Plus I have one other one someone gave me that I occassionally wear for jujitsu (black traditional mid weight karate gi). I wash and dry with the darks. I still have my TSD uniform as well (I wash it the same as my TKD uniforms).

As far as washing your belt ... When I was in TSD, I never washed my belts. I was told not to. But since I have been in TKD, and I have had my red belt for a year, it got pretty dirty at times. So I washed it with the darks and hung it up to dry. It didn't hurt it none, and it's not like I'm "washing my knowledge away." I wouldn't recommend putting the belt in the dryer, though.

I'm a nut about being clean. I shower twice per day (on training days and in the summer), and I just can't wear my uniform twice before washing it ... eekkkk. I sweat like a pig. That's the reason I also wash my belt occasionally. It got pretty smelly the first couple of months I had it .... eeewww.

Laurie F

You never wash your belt, no matter how "nasty" it "looks".

My Nidan Grading! Check it Out: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=27140

OSU!

"Behind each triumph are new peaks to be conquered." - Mas Oyama

Dojo Kun:http://www.diegobeltran.com/htms/dojo/dojokun.htm

https://www.kyokushinkarate.cjb.net

I wash my gi, i have 2 of them (cannot afford more) so I can wait till they dry. I haven't used bleach since it would kill the sewings and I don't have money for another one too soon.

As for the belt. I wash it. I have a 150 Euro Karategi. I won't have a dirty 5 euro belt ruin it because it's dirty :lol:

How does a belt get dirty anyway? Your not supposed to roll around in the mud with it on.

The theory behind not washing the belt is that all your hard work and training and sweat goes into that belt and washing it demolish's the hard work and such.

And you'l get people that say belts don't mean anything blah blah blah...the truth is a belt should mean more than just something to show your rank or grade.

My Nidan Grading! Check it Out: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=27140

OSU!

"Behind each triumph are new peaks to be conquered." - Mas Oyama

Dojo Kun:http://www.diegobeltran.com/htms/dojo/dojokun.htm

https://www.kyokushinkarate.cjb.net

Karate adopted the coloured belt system from judo. Judoka wash their belts because they get dirty from ground fighting, taking grip on the belt and from sweat. A coloured belt doesn't look dirty but one sniff will indicate otherwise. While other martial arts might not ground fight, they do sweat. Even situps and stretching on the ground will eventually transfer any foot sweat or dirt despite regular floor washing.

The original question asked about belt washing. It is valid for hygiene. Do you wash your uniform -same thing.