• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Animal Styles in Arts Other than Karate?

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you mean are they taught in Karate or have styles of their own?

I do believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the animal styles are more common in Chinese martial arts, such as Kung Fu. Those arts mimic tigers, snakes, hawks, and other animals. I don't think you'll find to many of that in Japanese arts.

I never said it wasn't dangerous.

I am not certain if there are "styles" in martial arts other than Chinese in origin. However, there are definitely groups of moves in other arts that mimic animals, or at least individual moves that do so.

Or, they could be based off of the Chinese styles and moves, and not directly after the animals themselves. There are a lot of leapard paw strikes and Viper style attacks I've seen that appear to be similar to Chinese styles.

all the best,

Tom

Shaolin 5 animal kung fu mimics animals. There are a few other forms of ma that include mimicing animals that were derived from chinese styles, like some Korean styles. I think kuk sool won does, not sure on that one though.

Chuck Norris once commented, "There are few problems in this world that cannot be solved by a swift roundhouse kick to the face. In fact, there are none."

I am not certain if there are "styles" in martial arts other than Chinese in origin. However, there are definitely groups of moves in other arts that mimic animals, or at least individual moves that do so.

Agreed. You can see the animal "traits" in many different styles. However, they are not always taught as such. For instance, precise finger strikes to vitals are characteristic of the snake, most styles have something like this, but do they call it snake? Probably not unless the system has a Chinese base.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.