• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am getting prepared for my next rank test, (purple belt black stripe) in kyokushinkai.

I anticipate the test but also will be very glad when its over.

I must do all katas i have learned from white belt all the way to present, all kicks, punches,blocks, and throws must be done with proper technique, power, and focus.

My only concern is stamina, being 42 years old and a heart attack survivor who the doctors told never to preach agian, drive a car, or even go fishing.

Does anyone have any suggestions , such as exercise, diet changes or any thing helpful I would gladly appreciate it

OSU

brown belt kyokushinkia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long ago did you have your heart attack? How closely is your Dr. supervising your training? What is your condition now (bmi, cholesterol, blood pressure, etc.)? It would be best to ask the advice from a medical professional. If you now have a clean bill of health, there's some interesting stuff out there on conditioning. I like this: http://www.trainforstrength.com/workouts.shtml

Good luck.

Edited by Meguro

My only concern is stamina, being 42 years old and a heart attack survivor who the doctors told never to preach agian, drive a car, or even go fishing.

Does anyone have any suggestions , such as exercise, diet changes or any thing helpful I would gladly appreciate it

My suggestion is to listen to your doctor and not a whole bunch of people in an internet message board.

If you can't drive or fish, how are you going to do martial arts?

Do you have children? If you do, then why aren't you worried about being there for them over testing for a belt? If you have another heart attack, or complications, it is your fault since you ignored your doctors.

Family is more important than martial arts.

AoG

ArmorOfgod has a good point. Sometimes you have to listen to your body (or doctor) instead of your ego oops! I mean head. No pun intended. Family comes first.

Doesn't mean you have to quit. You can always do something. But, its hard to work out at all if you kill yourself. Let your instructor know whats up and what your limitations are.

Martial arts if self defense for everyone.

I am guessing that if you are going for purple belt with black stripe, you have been there for awhile. I am sure you have talked with your doctor about participating in MA. Talk with him about your concerns, but also talk with your instructor. I am sure he would not want to put your health at risk over achieving a rank. Usually, belt testings are formalities anyways. An instructor would not advise you that you are testing if he/she didn't think you weren't ready for that rank. Good luck. Keep training.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

THE HEART ATTACK WAS IN 1999 . SINCE THEN I HAVE RECOVERED THANKS TO JESUS.

MY DOCTOR WAS AMAZED AT THE RECOVERY AND ALSO ENCOURAGED ME TO BEGAN EXERCISING.

A FRIEND OF MINE TOLD ME ABOUT KYOKUSHINKAI AND ASKED ME TO COME TAKE A FEW FREE CLASSES. I DID LIKED IT AND CONTINUE TO THIS DAY.

NO EGO INVOLVED JUST LOVE TAKING CARE OF MY BODY NOW.

A HEART ATTACK MAKES YOU THINK DIFFERENTLY ABOUT SOMETHINGS.

I HAD TO DO A COMPLETE LIFESTYLE CHANGE.

BETTER DIET, GETTING SLEEP, ENJOYING MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE AND KIDS , AND ABOVE ALL TAKING TIME TO PRAY AND TALK TO GOD

brown belt kyokushinkia

Sounds to me like you have your head in the right place.

That last thing you talked about, talking to God, is the key. He will always guide you in the right direction. When all else fails he will be there with you and for you.

Have fun with your rank test and if your body says slow it down listen to what its trying to tell you.

I think your going to be fine.

I feel your pain. I too had a heart attack on March 16, 1999. I have been in the martial arts for over 34 years. I have been teaching law enforcement, corrections and security at least 25 of it. Always thought I was doing good. I was 45 at the time. I have two stents in my heart now, wishing they were there. I took my doc's advise on exercise, but it wasn't enough. I take choresterol meds etc... However, my love for the arts is my enthusiasm to continue and be prosperous. I still have a stamina problem a little bit. It is that I get more tired now than I did prior to the incident, but I Still train at least twice a week and I compete in tournaments as well and I am now 51. God is real and he is watching.

Sigung White

34 years in the Martial Arts, Certified Police Trainer. Member of the Professional Karate Commission, IAOMAS, Fist Law Society, Director of the Molum Combat Arts Association and the MLCAA Honor Society

Honselty I don't think $6,000 is worth it for a $12 dollar belt. I am not against the belt system but I think there comes a point where you just have to draw the line. When I first started training in the MA my father would always tell me "the belt means nothing, it's the skill that matters." And in my time I have come to believe it. I've seen good BB and I've seen bad BB I've seen yellow belts win matches against brown belts. It's not about the belt, it's about the skill.

If it were me,(and I don't mean to be rude) I wouldn't pay it. I would walk away from the school with the knowledge I know and be happy that I was able to learn it. Or I would just contuine training at my rank. But I think this decision is ultimately up to you. I don't know how they run the school or the skill level of the owner, but if you feel it's worth it, then of course you have my support.

take care.

-Jess

I never said it wasn't dangerous.