• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

NWK?

Son Goku the monkeyking

in the tournament i went to this past weekend there was a kid who looked about 16-17 in the blackbelt division. he was in short GREAT he was doing backflips and backflip kicks for warm ups and when he did his bord breaking in shocked everybody, he did a jumping sidekick over 4 rows of 2 chairs, and still broke it, he was one of the only people who broke every bord on contact. :o and when he sparred his stance and hand positon were different ( stance was a riding horse stance to the side ) his back hand to his side in a fist. and his leading arm was in an open palm extended straight outward.) even though his stance was different he still did very good and got second or third place. i looked at his gi and even it was different it looked more like a black v neck shirt with a long sleeve white shirt except this was all conected as 1. and black martial arts pants. except own the back and left leg both said new world kata and new world karate, it was an unorthidoxed style but he was very effective. what is this NWK style. :-?

PEACE :kaioken: :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
in the tournament i went to this past weekend there was a kid who looked about 16-17 in the blackbelt division. he was in short GREAT he was doing backflips and backflip kicks for warm ups and when he did his bord breaking in shocked everybody, he did a jumping sidekick over 4 rows of 2 chairs, and still broke it, he was one of the only people who broke every bord on contact. :o and when he sparred his stance and hand positon were different ( stance was a riding horse stance to the side ) his back hand to his side in a fist. and his leading arm was in an open palm extended straight outward.) even though his stance was different he still did very good and got second or third place. i looked at his gi and even it was different it looked more like a black v neck shirt with a long sleeve white shirt except this was all conected as 1. and black martial arts pants. except own the back and left leg both said new world kata and new world karate, it was an unorthidoxed style but he was very effective. what is this NWK style. :-?

Did he do any karate?

Did he do any karate?

kinda it was hard to tell becus it seemed kinda unorthidoxed.

It is nice that he looked awesome at the tournament. That is what many sports martial artists train for. To look awesome at tournaments. Wonder if he does everything in his style as well as what he trained for at that tournament.

I went to a competition once and a sandan said to me, "I hope we don't tie in kata because we will have to do a different kata 2nd time." I said, why would that matter. This sandan belt said, "do you think you can do another kata as well as the one you plan to compete with?" I said "Absolutely." "I practice all my kata everyday. " This was my first competition as a black belt. I was shocked by this. I found out that most of the people competing that day, compete at least once or twice a month all year. They earn points for their scores and hand out awards at the end of the season. Needless to say, I went once. I am glad my instructor doesnt push tournament training as much as training everyday in everything I should know.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Same here. I like competitions but it's not a major focus of my karate. I train in karate for many reasons and competition is near the bottom of the list. When I do compete (which I do now and again because it's fun) I perform my kata as I do in the dojo and as I do when I practice everyday. If it isn't seen as a good "competition" kata then tuff. It's a good kata for me and I know how to make it work. Just because my kata may not look flash doesn't mean it has no value.

There's plenty of people who train in karate for competitions who place style over substance, which is great if that's all they want out of karate. Sadly there's too many people who think that style=substance and that the flashy kata they can do will also be able to be used realistically in SD. Grr!

As for the original question, I've never heard of NWK but it is more than likely a "freestyle" style of karate and one that is primarily geared towards tournaments.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I totally agree with my honourable colleague AEFIBIRD.

There are too many sportsmen nowadays in martial arts, not only Karate, but all of them. I constantly compete (when my injuries let me :karate: ) but that I do only to see what people can do and what I have in my pocket to suggest.

Most of the Karate sportsmen train only for Kata or Only for Kumite...Men, that's bullshit, it's not an art, it's a sport. I say such people should not call themselves Karatekas (or any other name of a real Martial art) let them call themselves SPORTSMEN - that would be fair.

You know, though I'm a vice champion of Russia in Kumite, I have never trained to take points on the tournament and actually I have no respect for people doing that. But sometimes a sportsman can win the fighter.

But guess what - that's only for points.

You imagine the result of the fight without rules between sportsman and real fighter? Here's your answer. No matter how gorgeous you look, the point is how real you are!

Shotokan has no limits in techniques. limits are made by the followers.

That raises a question I've been thinking about lately. I have heard that Karate may be recognized as an olympic event soon. How do you feel this is going to change how the general public views martial arts?

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I have heard that Karate may be recognized as an olympic event soon. How do you feel this is going to change how the general public views martial arts?

Well, to tell you the truth - I'm a bit too traditional in this way and think that there is no competition possible between karate masters.

With no disrespect to the best Funakoshi's student Nakayama - it's due to his activities Karate in Japan has gained sport aspect. Before it was pure Martial Art, Bushido.

There are two sides of a coin in the question you submitted.

First

As soon as Karate becomes Olympic, it's popularity will increase tremendously and hordes of people will come to Dojos. It's fine because they will get fit, be in shape, less sick and more friendly. That's good.

Second.

On the other hand I believe that sport kills real Martial Art and it only will take time when real masters will go to background behind the commercial pointed trainers of sports champions.

It's up to people which way is better for them - the golden medals which empty their soul, or dirty Gi with sweat and blood that makes the brighter.

Shotokan has no limits in techniques. limits are made by the followers.