• Skills will win

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, I understand the point you guys are making, but you are making it the wrong way. the guys you are referencing aren't stronger - in this instance they have better cardio and better endurance, which is different from raw strength.

One thing that I would add to this is the fact that the football players simply aren't used to doing that kind of work. The BJJ workout is so different from their football workouts that they need some time to adjust to that kind of work. Give them about 3 months of steady training, and then see where they are at.

Hello all

In the fight between a body builder and a MA. I would say that the Bodybuilder does have an advantage at a few spots as well. he will be able to intimidate people before the fight and yes if his body is use to it he will be able to take a few punches. But I would have to go with the MA cause he knows what to do. Sure he may not of ever used it before but whent he time comes it just comes to ducking and weaving and then striking the vital areas. It would be a close fight but like I said I would have to go with the MA in this area.

Who would you rather fight. A man that is not afraid to die...Or a man that has nothing left to live for?

I know that we've all dreamed at one time or another of defending a beautiful lady from a hulking gorilla with huge biceps who falls after a few well placed strikes. However there are so many varibles in a fight that having size/streanth is a real asset. I'd say this: a lightly trained MA VS a huge bodybuilder=likely win for the musclehead. A highly trained MA VS a huge Muscle builder=Likely win the the MA. I've seen big guys get out-grappled and out punched becuase while they had such a huge size, they couldn't fight real well (and even some of them could!). However never underestimate anyone! That big guy very well might have training in wrestling or boxing, and even if they don't, their mass means that any strikes that do connect WILL HURT! Thus to sum things up: at an initial level I'd say MASS>SKILL, at a higher level SKILL>MASS, and if you increase the mass, you must increase the skill accordingly to keep the odds in favor of the MA.

PS: never underestimate a little guy either, they can have some nasty punches!

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Hello all

In the fight between a body builder and a MA. I would say that the Bodybuilder does have an advantage at a few spots as well. he will be able to intimidate people before the fight and yes if his body is use to it he will be able to take a few punches. But I would have to go with the MA cause he knows what to do. Sure he may not of ever used it before but whent he time comes it just comes to ducking and weaving and then striking the vital areas. It would be a close fight but like I said I would have to go with the MA in this area.

riddle me this - why have most us either seen trained MA get beaten in streetfights or actually been the MA that got beaten? If it were as simple as you make it sound, it would never happen...

I know that we've all dreamed at one time or another of defending a beautiful lady from a hulking gorilla with huge biceps who falls after a few well placed strikes. However there are so many varibles in a fight that having size/streanth is a real asset. I'd say this: a lightly trained MA VS a huge bodybuilder=likely win for the musclehead. A highly trained MA VS a huge Muscle builder=Likely win the the MA. I've seen big guys get out-grappled and out punched becuase while they had such a huge size, they couldn't fight real well (and even some of them could!). However never underestimate anyone! That big guy very well might have training in wrestling or boxing, and even if they don't, their mass means that any strikes that do connect WILL HURT! Thus to sum things up: at an initial level I'd say MASS>SKILL, at a higher level SKILL>MASS, and if you increase the mass, you must increase the skill accordingly to keep the odds in favor of the MA.

PS: never underestimate a little guy either, they can have some nasty punches!

good post.

skill hands down will win 100%

That's a very dangerous assumption.

I always get a kick out of martial artists who assume that bodybuilders are just bloated mirror jockeys who are worthless on the street. Skills pay the bills, so to speak, but strength and size can go a long way towards evening the score. Mass can provide a very effective barrier to a kick and a strike, and it can be very difficult to block or evade a barrage of wild strikes in tight quarters from a 260 lb man capable of lifting 500 lbs or more.

Bob Sapp comes immediately to mind. He is largely slow and unskilled compared to his professionally trained competition, but who on this board would realistically have a chance of defeating him? It's not like most of us are CroCop.

Fights depend on many factors, skill being of primary necessity, but not by as much as you would expect. I have defeated more skilled fighters by relying more on my strength, speed, endurance, and power, and I have also defeated larger, stronger opponents by relying on my skills. Skills certainly are of highest priority, but all it takes in a streetfight is one lucky punch by that bodybuilder (yes, it CAN happen!) and your skills go right out the window. As for me, I like having the confidence to know that if my skills should fail me for any reason, that I have developed the strength and conditioning to help me survive.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

fighting skills. brains over bronze. you can be the strongest man in the world, but it you dont know what your doing then yyour in trouble. and bodybuilders build thier bodys mostly with steroids and most of them aernt really strong. most weight lifters dont even have bulging muscles but they can still lift a bunch

the best fight is one that doesnt happen