• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gichin Funakoshi/Masatoshi Nakayama injuries

cluelesskarateka

As far as I know, Taiji Kases legs didn't have any injuries, and Fudo-Dachi was used because it offers greater stability, freedom of movement, and also makes grabbing techniques easier due to stability. Fudo-Dachi is also easier on the ankles rather than the knees i'd say, as the knees are probably more bent in Fudo-Dachi than in Zenkutsu-Dachi. It might be said Fudo-Dachi is easier on the knees as it is easier to get the correct alignment of the knees in relation to foot position, whereas in Zenkutsu-Dachi it's quite common for the knees to be aligned poorly.

It's not what style you train, it's how hard you train - My Sensei

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A lot of masters adjusted kata to adapt to student's handicaps and physical inabilities. Not sure if Funakoshi had this done or did this but others have and still do

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

• 1 month later...

Polio? What are you talking about. i have Never seen or heard any reference to Gichin Funakoshi having polio. He states himself that he had perfect health and never went to a doctor.

Polio? What are you talking about. i have Never seen or heard any reference to Gichin Funakoshi having polio. He states himself that he had perfect health and never went to a doctor.

I had not been able to confirm it but just want I had heard.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

Funakoshi was described as being "sickly." I don't think that's the same thing as illness. I just think he was rather weal and frail as a child before he took up karate training.

As for Nakayama, I did hear that he was injured at one point in a skiing accident. Never really heard the details though, other than that he was laid up for quite a bit.

"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world"

-Dave Barry

So much of this discussion is conjecture. One thing is certain though, as several people have already pointed out - the Shorin Ryu as learnt by Funakoshi had significantly higher stances than modern Shotokan. If you wish to see the evidence of this just look at the different longstanding Shorin Ryu traditions still practiced today. All of the genuine Okinawan Shorin Ryu systems use high stances.

The deepening of stances was part of the development of Shotokan, pure and simple.

Mike

https://www.headingleykarate.org

Practical Karate for Self-Defence