• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Recognizing Black Belts of other styles in dojo.

Well, personally speaking on this, for I am a Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do, I see it as disrespectufl if a BB, such as myself, goes to a new style and continues to wear the BB. A new style means a new beginning. I do not agree with schools allowing a BB from another style to continue wearing their BB in his/her new school. I personaly wouldn't. As other members have said, many things can be different in new schools, so why would one want to wear their BB in the new school. When the time comes I have my own school, Of course I want many students, from other styles would be great. But would I want them to waer their BB from the other style in class, no. Would I give them recognition of being a BB in antoher style, yes, of course, that would be the respectful thing to do. I would also want them to show my students some of their techniques, for I do not believe in limiting oneself to only one style or way of fighting. But at the same time, there is a time and place for that as well.

Daniel Wittler, 1st Dan Black Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it the same thing as a licensed tree surgeon seeking the same rights and priveleges as brain surgeons to treat people's neurological disorders?

Permitting a student to wear a black belt or any other rank obtained in a different style, may make economic sense. Afterall, who wants to drive away business? However, a student who joins a school and expects special treatment because of the rank achieved in another style is full of ego. It's better to put on the white belt like any other newby and start from the end of the line.

A rank has relevence within the system it was obtained. While some of the skills may be transferable from system to system, the rank cannot. I'm only talking about switching from completely different systems, for example Judo to Karate, or Karate to TKD. Obviously, switching associations within the same style is a matter of politics and is not pertinent to this thread.

Very well said. In my school, if you have trained in another style... bad luck. You are not in the style we are working in, and even if you are, unless you train with a recognised school (part of WUKO) we will assess you and give you the grade we believe they are worthy of. If they don't like it, they are welcome to back to their previous school.

I don't see why people want to wear their black in another art. I cross train a fair bit and enjoy starting at white in a new style. IMO anyone wanting to wear their black in another style is doing it for reasons of ego only. It's got nothing to do with respect, if they want respect for their achievements, go and continue training in the style in which they recieved their black.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

The school I earned my black belt from, we completely recognize a black belt from any style, as a black belt and show them complete respect. If they are from a different style, they often teach some of their art to the students, but if they are there to learn our art, we teach them as if they were a white belt.

We believe in the belt ranking system enough that, if you have a black belt, you deserve to wear it, but we don't believe in it so much to the point that, if you're not a black belt in our specific style, then you HAVE to wear a white belt.

Some styles may disregard others and only respect their own, with the mentality that, if you want me to respect you, you have to devote yourself to MY art.

Where I train Jiu-Jitsu, I wear my TKD black belt. Everyone there knows my rank is in TKD, and if I roll with someone I've never met before, I make a point of telling them it's a TKD black belt, and not Jiu-Jitsu. Again it goes back to my mentality of, I earned my black belt, and I want to train in it, but I'm not so hung up on belt ranks that I feel the need to go back to wearing a white belt.

To me, telling a black belt that "you have to put on a white belt to participate" is very disrespectful to the hard work they put forth prior to attending that particular class. At the least, they deserve the respect of being allowed to wear their own belt, and simply being recognized as someone with experience and knowledge. However that black belt, must also respect the rest of the class as having more experience in that particular style than he/she does, and respect the teacher as the head of the school, and remember that he/she is there to learn, and not to prove something.

This is my policy with the exception, that the student who has a black belt in another system must wear the uniform/patch that goes with it. This way there is no confusion as to what style their black belt is in.

I respect the black belt they earned, and give them the choice of wearing it with the proper uniform, or starting with a white belt in our uniform.

Isn't it the same thing as a licensed tree surgeon seeking the same rights and priveleges as brain surgeons to treat people's neurological disorders?

I think that it's more like a surgeon is called "Doctor", and when a Ph.D. in Physics walks into a hospital, they are called "Doctor" too. The Ph.D. would inform someone of what his training is in if it comes up, not to mislead anyone to think that he is a medical doctor, but the symbol of accomplishment carries over from the university building to the clinic.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

I think that it's more like a surgeon is called "Doctor", and when a Ph.D. in Physics walks into a hospital, they are called "Doctor" too. The Ph.D. would inform someone of what his training is in if it comes up, not to mislead anyone to think that he is a medical doctor, but the symbol of accomplishment carries over from the university building to the clinic.

I think you are absolutely right. It about respecting the level of training that the other person has gone through.

5th Dan Tang Soo Do

My Jujitsu instructor actually doesn't mind what belt I wear. But I choose to wear my white belt, eventhough I did wear my red belt once. But I felt weird about it LOL.

LOL Red Belts in most Jujitsu systems are for 9th and 10th dans. I bet you got some funny looks.

I'm sure there's a huge rash of mistaken identities when Physics professors are constantly approached by nurses and patients to treat the next emergency case! :D The only business a Physics Ph.D has in a hospital is as a patient or visitor. What does this achievement in academia have to do with the provision of healthcare anyway?

A blackbelt is relevant only to karateka, or TKDists, or whoever in their own setting. If you're visiting another style to give a lesson or demo, then fine. Keep your rank and uniform and teach your stuff. However, if you've joined another organization, swallow your pride, empty your cup, and learn something new. One should be more concerned about learning than status.

To illustrate, my buddy is a 4th dan in Judo, and a 3rd dan Kenpo. When he's not teaching those classes he was a brown belt in my karate dojo (the dojo I attend). He just got his shodan after taking the test 3 times. He didn't wave his outside accomplishments in front of anyone to get by. He let his skill on the mat speak, modestly and eloquently for him.

Alot of great responses. All over the board on this one. The individuals that I witnessed wearing their black belts were obviously karate practitioners. This style I was seeing was more representative of a chinese martial art. Completely different. Besides, I think one of the best parts about training was going from the white to black and above. I would not want to be in a new school wearing my black belt and having new students join and think that because I had a black belt, that i was experienced in the current style I was practicing. Especially if I wasn't very good at it yet. I respect all BB of any style. What kind of respect would I get from white belts if I didn't represent the instructor or myself the way a BB should. I also wouldn't want to explain to every person in there at one time or another that "I am a black belt in another style, but I don't train there anymore." As for the doctor comments-----> Do you really want to compare holding a doctorate degree and giving recognition to that individual in any form of medicine to achieving and maintaining a black belt? As much as I love being a black belt, I don't think it is quite the same.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

• 1 month later...

I have know schools that allow the wearing of the earned black belt although the style is different. I think that it is normal. Some black belt students in the new style chose to wear a white belt out of respect until such time that they learned the kata, techniques and such and were tested. In many cases it did not take the normal period of training

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

My Jujitsu instructor actually doesn't mind what belt I wear. But I choose to wear my white belt, eventhough I did wear my red belt once. But I felt weird about it LOL.

LOL Red Belts in most Jujitsu systems are for 9th and 10th dans. I bet you got some funny looks.

Hehehehe. Yea, I can see that. But my instructor teaches private lessons only (for now). There's only two of us students (three at the most). He knows I train in another art (TKD, which red is before black), though. He really doesn't mind at all. I'm the one that feels weird about it.

Laurie F